Dual Booting Guides Guides for setting up your Dell Mini to run 2 operating systems or more.

Comment

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
[How To] Dual Booting Snow Leopard and Windows 7
Published by GINTER
09-10-2009
Default [How To] Dual Booting Snow Leopard and Windows 7

HOW TO DUAL BOOT SNOW LEOPARD AND WINDOWS 7

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

A USB/SD INSTALLATION MEDIA OF WIN7 (how to make one, scroll down)
A USB/SD INSTALLATION MEDIA OF OSX SL PATCHED WITH THE LATEST NBM (use <THIS> method to make one)

HOW TO PROCEED:

- boot off the Win7 USB/SB media
- click through the first two windows that appear (you will see a message "Setup is starting.."
- enter CMD by hitting SHIFT-FN-F10 (or SHIFT-F10) dependent on KB / model
- type in:
diskpart.exe
list disk
select disk (your hard drive, should be 0)
clean
convert GPT
create partition EFI size=200
create partition primary size=(size in mb for OSX> (mine was 30000 MB, of a 60 GB HD)
create partition primary size=(size in mb for Win7> (mine was 30000 MB, of a 60 GB HD)
list partition (a * should appear on the third partition, that's where you will install Win7 later)
(at this point you can type "extend" to fill the rest of the drive with any space left over from building the partitions
format fs=ntfs quick
exit
exit
- shutdown your mini by pressing the power button

- install OSX using <THIS> method
- during the install, you will see the NTFS disk, which you won't be able to use
- enter the DISK UTILITY and select the hidden "disk0s2" and erase is using Mac OS Journaled File System, name it OSX
- continue your installation as you were onto the newly created OSX partition
- when done, SHUTDOWN (don't reboot) and insert your USB/SD Win7 boot media again
- follow standard procedures for installing Win7 (onto partition 3)
- (if at this point it complains that Win7 cannot be installed onto this drive because of BIOS issues, reboot and do it again)
- when completed, download and install EasyBCD (Google is your friend)
- run EasyBCD and add your OSX Snow Leopard as an optional OS (generic x86), save the MBR with the two choices
- (you may want to decrease the countdown from 30 seconds to 10 or 5, as I did)
- reboot Win7
- see the TWO choices during startup

DONE! Your 10v will now boot with a menu of two operating systems. The Mini 9 should be able to complete the above process with no issues.

HOW TO MAKE A BOOTABLE USB/SD WIN7 INSTALLATION MEDIA:

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

A 4 GB USB/SD STICK/CARD
A WIN7 DVD
A VISTA/WIN7/WIN2003/2008 SERVER WORKING PC (to run the installation)

- insert your 4 media stick USB/SD
- run CMD (as Administrator if needed)
- type in:
diskpart.exe
list disk (notice which is your USB/SD media drive)
select disk 4 (could be 3, 2, 5, etc.)
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format fs=ntfs quick
assign
exit
- insert the Windows 7 DVD into your drive and copy the contents using robocopy:
robocopy.exe E:\ F:\ /MIR
(where E:\ is the source and F:\ is the destination USB/SD card)

DONE! You now have a bootable installation USB/SD media drive for Windows 7. The same procedure works for Vista, and Windows 2003 / 2008 server (NOT XP).

Cheers. I'd appreciate feedback.
Tutorial Tools

Featured Tutorials
Old 09-12-2009, 02:56 PM

This Guide also working with Bios A06 or have to downgrade?
Old 09-12-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirus69 View Post
This Guide also working with Bios A06 or have to downgrade?
At this time, there is no known A06 SL working install methods, need to downgrade.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:51 PM

nice post. sticky?
XBOX 360 Arcade 20GB LiteOn iXtreme 1.6 & Activate.iso Xbox LIVE Status: OK
Macbook Pro 2.4 i5 8GB 320GB Mac OS X 10.6.6
Dell Mini 10v 1GB 160GB Mac OS X 10.6.6 & Windows 7 RTM
A physicist is just an atom's way of looking at itself. N. Bohr
Old 09-16-2009, 07:53 PM

Where to store shared files?

I.e. From SL side, do I see the Win7 partition?

If no, then should I have a shared partition for docs/pictures/etc?

Thx!
Old 09-16-2009, 10:04 PM

Has anyone managed to install the new Snow Leopard Bootcamp HFS+ drivers in Win 7 to allow read access of the OS X partition? OS X usually sees NTFS as read-only, but the converse used to require 3rd party software. The other option is a 3rd shared FAT32 partition - or SD card - (but that has the limitations of FAT32)
Old 09-17-2009, 04:46 PM

First I installed OSX and used the netbookbootmaker to patch the USB and followed the instructions exactly (did not reboot instead i shut down and installed Win7 right after and then ran EasyBCD for duel boot). However, when I loaded into OSX I noticed that I didn't have WiFi, audio, etc. I looked like none of the extensions were installed for the mini 10v and at no point in the instuctions did it say to actually run the NetbookInstall App. So I booted into Safe Mode and ran the NetbookInstall app and rebooted. This installed chameleon and totally screwed up my boot process. I tried making changes in EasyBCD and even DISKPART to make the OSX partition active...but in the end it destroyed both boot loaders and now i'm trying to start again from scratch.

So I wanted to ask what is the best way to duel boot OSX/Win7 so that the boot loaders wont get confused? Also do you need to run NetbookInstaller if you patched the Leopard install USB with NetbookBootMaker?
Old 09-20-2009, 02:02 PM

On most of these installation tutorials I've noticed that OSX is installed first and Win7 second. I already have Windows 7 installed on my 10v and wanted to install OSX without wiping my HDD and starting from scratch. I have 3 partitions (40gb with Win7, 40GB unformatted - reserved for OSX, and 60GB formatted FAT32 for shared files) so I think I set that up correctly. My question is: Can I install SL on this unformatted partition and then repair the Windows boot loader with EasyBCD or do I need to start over from the beginning with a fresh hard drive?
Old 09-20-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmobius View Post

So I wanted to ask what is the best way to duel boot OSX/Win7 so that the boot loaders wont get confused? Also do you need to run NetbookInstaller if you patched the Leopard install USB with NetbookBootMaker?
I am curious about this as well. From what i understand the only way to get the drivers installed conveniently is with Netbookinstaller. It would be nice if the original poster that would "appreciate feedback" addressed this.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:12 PM

Nice guide. For the section on creating a bootable USB/SD disk, if you don't have a working windows installation from which to create the disk, you can boot from the Windows Installation DVD, select the 'Repair' menu, then 'Command Prompt' and follow the steps as noted. It worked for me using Windows 7. That might help some people out that don't have a static Windows machine.
Comment

« Dual Boot Win 7 and OSX - Guide | HowTo Guide: Step-by-Step OSX/Win7 Dual Boot Install »
Tutorial Tools