Dell Streak Forum for discussion on Dells 5'' android tablet, the Dell Streak

(#1) Old
Angry 11/09/11 Notification Malware - 09-12-2011, 08:36 AM

Today I received an SMS from ?

Of course I knew it was absurd, so deleted it.

At the same time 3 apps were downloading auto updates, - the only one I recall was Kii Safe, but I am not suggesting it was the cause of ......

When I went to clear the notifications and the antivirus (3 of them) message saying the downloads were clean, - a black screen came up with a large advertisement, featuring a man @ woman for a singles dating agency.

There is a menu, which allows 2 options, and that is to click for the dating service, or to skip it.

When you do the latter, the app. that was updated opens as normal.

So only when apps. are updated, or a new app. is downloaded, this advertisement appears.

It isn't an app. itself, it seems to have been bundled deliberately into an app.

I sent a message to Google security, and received a notification it had been received. As I said, the advert. only come on with app. related notifications.

So, whether that SMS installed it, or an app. update, I am unsure.

If you have an apps. with auto updates, (or manual) - you could get more than you bargained for.

I will advise when I receive a reply from Google.
  (#2) Old
Default 11/09/11 Notification Malware - 09-12-2011, 11:02 AM

I feel I have solved the problem and got this malware out of my phone.

Using the app "Explorer" I found a file called 'AppInfo" with today's date.

I had an option to "extract" it. So, I tried that, and it was transferred to the SD card.

Then using "Quick Office" [brouse] I found it on the SD card. here I had an option to delete it. This I did.

Next I downloaded a new app. "Thai TV" as an experiment, and waited for the notification of installation and notifications from the 3 anti virus apps. declaring the download clean.

The notification of the successful app. installation opened up the new app and not the singles dating service advertisement, so I knew I had been successful. The anti virus notifications also caused no problems.

And I deleted Thai TV, as it didn't work.

malware, notifications malware, spam app notifications

« Please Help!?!? | Media Volume »