Dell Streak Forum for discussion on Dells 5'' android tablet, the Dell Streak

(#1) Old
Default Changing Baseband - 08-15-2011, 05:49 PM

Hi!, I bought an unlocked Dell Streak on April, it had 00 baseband and was running Android 2.2.2. It pretty much died a month ago and I sent it to Dell for repair. At last I got a replacement which has a 31 baseband and Android 2.2.

I'm outside the US and the phone works with my carrier so it's obviosly not locked, but it's still associated to AT&T somehow, so It doesn't pull updates from Dell Site.

Anybody can tell how hard/harmful is the procedure to change baseband?, sending back the phone for exchange would be really difficult right now..
  (#2) Old
Default 08-15-2011, 07:04 PM

Your best bet would be to install one of the latest non-carrier specific ROMs. The best bets are 354 (Hong Kong retail) or 351 (generic retail). 354 is customized for the Hong Kong region, 351 has support for more languages. If you don't need the Hong Kong version I recommend 351.

These two links probably have more info then you need:

Radimus’s Universal Guide to Flashing a ROM

Modding your Streak – where to start?

The first is must reading.
  (#3) Old
Default 08-15-2011, 08:38 PM

I'll check both posts. So far I assume that using the correct recovery.img+update.pkg directly changes the baseband and is harmless, right?

One more thing, if you have root shell access to your streak on 2.2.2, can you issue a "find /" ?

My previous phone presented a filesystem corruption that produced a directory loop (directory pointing to itself) that lead to loops with some apps. Don't remember right now the problematic directory path.

It was probably a hardware issue, but I would like to discard logical corruption on the 2.2.2 update (read some unconfirmed doubts from Dell on 2.2.2).

Thanks a lot for answering!

« Discontinued dell streak 5 | Download Streak update separately? »