Dell Streak Forum for discussion on Dells 5'' android tablet, the Dell Streak

(#1) Old
Default No marketplace 2 - 04-05-2011, 09:26 AM

I have just bought Streak and new to forum so hello to all.

Streak purchased a few days ago from supplier via Amazon UK at ver 2.2. After using small winmobile device for a few years really like size and touch screen.

I cannot install apps. Marketplace app is not installed ie no icon on home page and when accessed via browser installs fail with message 'no android phone associated with this account'. To associate phone I have added my primary google account to phone and sync'd OK but still not associated. I am concerned why marketplace is not installed as it seems to be a norm for android devices, my Q's are

Should marketplace be installed.
Is this normal or does its non installation suggest the phone is not intended for UK sale or use.
If it is normal and phone is genuine how do I install apps do I need marketplace or do Dells use some other method.

(#2) Old
Red face Market on 2.2 - 04-06-2011, 06:01 AM

Streaks come with the Market as one of the installed apps on the Home Page.

You can also install apps. from Amazon's Appshop. but must have an Amazon Account. If that isn't the right name of their App. site, just search android apps on their search engine.

And you would need to go into "Settings" and though I can't remember the terms, you should see an option to accept apps. from other than the Market.

You would to tick that, as the default setting is the Google Android Market.

If you succeed in doing that, you might find an app. for Google's market.

In any case once you have ticked the box to accept apps. from other sources, you are likely to find other sources offering the Android Market as a Google app.
  (#3) Old
Default 04-09-2011, 06:55 AM

Thanks Australian.

It appears that the marketplace is part of the androis OS and as it was not installed as I was concerned as to the background of my new supplied (in UK) phone so I dedcided to return it and possibly reorder from Dell direct.

Thanks for info.

« Streak on Holiday | My Screenshot Request Thread »