Dell Streak Forum for discussion on Dells 5'' android tablet, the Dell Streak

(#1) Old
Default 2G Wi-Fi Questions - 01-20-2011, 06:28 AM

I am thinking about getting an unlocked Streak to use on my existing AT&T 2G phone plan, and then use Wi-Fi for internet, etc.

I read somewhere that if I take my SIM card and put it in the Streak it will work, but AT&T will know that I have switched devices and will want me to upgrade my plan to a 3G Data Plan - any truth to this?

Also - right now Dell is selling the 16GB Black Unlocked model with Android 1.6 upgradable to 2.2 (available over the air with first use). Hardware wise, is this 1.6 model physically the same as the 2.2 model? or is the 2.2 model a new and improved Streak?
  (#2) Old
Default 01-20-2011, 07:58 AM

Answers to the questions:

1) Yes, it is, technologically, possible that a provider can detect the phone your SIM card is in. Don't know if AT&T will do anything about it though, most likely they won't, since if you /do/ use any data over the card, they'd be able to charge standard rates, giving them more cash.

2) There is little difference in ANY of the streaks, there was rumour that the White one had something done to it's internals, but no, the numbers you see related entirely to the Android OS installed on the device.

Once again a proud Streak Owner