Dell Streak Forum for discussion on Dells 5'' android tablet, the Dell Streak

(#1) Old
Default The Streak Dock.. - 01-13-2011, 09:39 PM

This is more of a rant than a question...

As some of you may remember, I recently purchased the Dell dock for the streak as I was without a charger... It's very nice and all... well made, nice for sitting the phone in over night as a clock... but that's about it really...

It may have an HDMI out socket on it, but really, it's basically useless. It's so much of a faff getting both the TV and the streak to recognise the connection, that it takes a lot of the pleasure out of watching any video on the TV... and the fact it only works with the stock video player (and then not very well) is a real let down... At the very least you should be able to watch Youtube through it... but no...

I've heard there is an app for the Droid X, called Real HDMI, that allows you to fully use the HDMI out for anything you want... if only someone could come up with something like that for the streak.

What I really want to be able to do is watch iplayer, youtube, video files from the SD card... and with an actual usable interface...

The hardware is all there... so why is it Dell/Google haven't supplied us software that allows us to make the most of it?
  (#2) Old
Default 01-14-2011, 12:21 AM

That makes it one expensive bedside clock stand

You've just made my mind up...I'm going to get a Slacker G2 dock instead @ this point

If you find a workaround, let us know...
  (#3) Old
Default 01-14-2011, 03:40 AM

For watching / listening to SDCard / internet media, I would go (and actually, went long time ago) with dedicated media player. These cost little bit more than the Dock ($100), but being permanently connected to the TV/receiver, and having remote control more than pays for that extra.

I have already ordered a G2 dock for charging / synching only, costs almost the same as Dell' EXPENSIVE data cable only.
  (#4) Old
Default 01-14-2011, 12:37 PM

I've been contemplating buying a Playstation 3, which would certainly fill that role...

But it just seems like I have all the required hardware here... It's only the software missing... If I had I had the coding skills of DJ_steve I'd work on it myself... but I don't.

Looking at the way technology is headed, smartphones/tablets with docks for extended functionality is the future...

« dell streak 2.2 upgrade delay | Invalid Service Tag?! »