Dell Streak Forum for discussion on Dells 5'' android tablet, the Dell Streak

(#1) Old
Default is the dell streak reallu unlocked - 11-17-2010, 12:51 AM

Before purchasing my dell streak directly from dell, I called them to ask if I paid the requested $549.00 for this device, am I purchasing an UNLOCKED device, I was told yes thats why the price difference. Well thank god I'm with at&t because when I went to place my brother's t-mobile sim card within the device all we got was network lock and it would not accept the t-mobile sim, yet when I placed my at&t sim in, it lit up like a xmas tree. Why would dell state the device is unlocked or do they have a different meaning for an unlocked device. I ask this question because I've had HTC, SAMSUNG and NOKIA unlocked devices and they in fact do work with at&t, t-mobile etc.
  (#2) Old
Default 11-17-2010, 06:01 AM

As far as I recall there are a few things that complicate it in America:

1) GSM vs CDMA phones.
2) Supported GSM bands
3) Carrier restrictions.

An 'sim-free' or 'unlocked' GSM phone, like the Streak, should in principle work on any GSM network that uses the band frequencies listed in its manual. In the case of the Streak it's quad-band on 1900/1800/900/850 Mhz Frequencies so I would imagine as long as your provider is a GSM provider, and uses one of these, you're fine.

The third is trickier. I have heard of some American service providers who restrict devices, in the same way you restrict devices on your home wifi. Thus it would be the provider who needs to be contacted.

In short: Yes, unlocked should mean 'unlocked', but there are other things to consider. Can't take a GSM phone and use it on a CDMA service like, presumably, verizon. (I know not who does CDMA in the states, in the UK everything is GSM)

Once again a proud Streak Owner