Dell Streak Forum for discussion on Dells 5'' android tablet, the Dell Streak

(#11) Old
Default 10-10-2010, 01:25 PM

Igot my streak in july on th assumption that it would ultimately get the froyo upgrade and by then I'd know how to use it. 2.1 upgrade was problematic, but improved the overall performance. Now I couldn't do without it. For me the size is perfect. Small enough to go in most pockets and big enough to use as a book reader,satnav,browser etc.
  (#12) Old
Default 10-11-2010, 02:50 AM

I have had my Streak for a couple of weeks now. I am in the US and only have 1.6. I have had no problems with the device. I love 1.6 and will happily wait for a stable 2.2 release. I am very impressed with all the great and free Android programs.

As far as waiting goes, in the world of electronics if you wait for the next great upgrade, you will never buy anything ever, because there will always be something new around the corner with a faster processor and better screen. I can't imagine not being happy with a device in my pocket that; I use as a phone, I can watch movies on, I can set up in my car as a turn by turn voice GPS device with a big enough screen to see; a mini computer tablet that runs great games and allows me to write and read documents; listen to my audible books and podcasts; watch podcasts and tv shows; (download and an e-book reader that has tons of books available.

I'm not sure what an upgrade will do, because this phone already does all these things and it will do even more when Froyo is released.
  (#13) Old
Default 10-11-2010, 05:58 AM

Wait! (or Desire HD, out today)

The Streak might become great under Froyo... but i very much doubt it.
Dell have been abysmal, complete cowboys.
I tried, i really did.
& it's no longer just a phone you're buying these days!

I get my Desire this week, i'm sure there'll be plenty of forums so keep a look out.
Worth bearing in mind is that HTC are in partnership with Google, & Google make Android.

Not sure what other phones are on the horizon, so if you've got time or you're not that bothered, wait & have a mooch.
  (#14) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 10-11-2010, 06:57 PM

Froyo is pretty amazing on the Streak tbh, once it's fined tuned it will be an awesome device.

That being said I agree with the above, Dell have been sloppy and we shouldn't have to rely on the community for decent software

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#15) Old
Talking no worries - 10-12-2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by superutp View Post
hey everyone..

my contract is abt to expire n am planning on getting a dell streak on o2 in the uk....

but am a bit confused..

reading thru diff forums I have found tht some people have some problems here n there with the streak..

i am not too concerned abt the 2.1 or the 2.2 update as of yet since ill be keeping the phone for more than a year..hence eventually the updates will

but wat concerns me is having small problems off n on...on one hand I really wanna get the streak but on the other I dont want a phone which gives me probs...

so what do u all suggest...shud I go in for the streak...or is it more of a gamble??

thanks in advance
I don't know of any serious problems with the streak so long as you steer clear of experimental updates, or rushing headlong into updating the device. If you primarily want a phone with occasional web browsing and email, the streak may not be appropriate. But if you want a tablet device with the portability of a phone and ability to make calls the streak is perfect in my opinion.
  (#16) Old
Default 10-16-2010, 01:19 PM

Hi guys I also had great reservations on purchasing an android phone after owning an iphone for a few years. Now I Have purchased a dell streak and I'm impressed. Even with 1.6 it runs really well. Dell have made a great product I believe. Just a pleasure to use and the screan is glorious. There is so much more scope with android and the streak. Week 1. ( honeymoon period )
  (#17) Old
Default 10-17-2010, 08:55 AM

I've had my Dell Streak ever since Dell (direct) sold them in the UK. I'm still running 1.6 and I'm extremely pleased with it. I'm so glad I didn't get an HTC Desire - the larger screen on the Dell just makes it sooooo much better for web browsing, emails etc.
Initially, it was buggy. But the last Dell patch and possibly updates for my installed apps have now made the Streak as reliable as my previous Nokia E71. Putting a piece of folded paper between the battery and lid has made a big impact on the reliability too as this stops it turning off when knocked. It's now pretty much perfect. The only thing I could complain about if the method of answering incoming calls, but once you know how to work around the design flaw, then it's fine. The next Android upgrade should sort that anyway.

I would never want anything less than a 5" screen again. I may even go for a 7" device next time! Or a 5" device with a slide out keyboard, if one ever appears in the future.

Streak supplied 8 July 2010, direct from
  (#18) Old
Default 10-18-2010, 06:54 PM

Ive had one since 1.6. To be fair, the device works almost perfectly under 1.6..Am shot away with the performance of the device under 2.2. I think companys have underestimated how fast Android Developement would move and how much adding their own tweaks would cost them in terms of getting the latest version to Market.
I love the damn thing. Good for movies, comics, music, haxxoring about with, tv, t`internet, gps, etc etc et bloody cetera. Win despite Dell.
  (#19) Old
Default 10-19-2010, 10:34 AM

Well after reading this site and all the reviews I am going to get the Steak, might try and get one tonight!

Does anyone know if there are any advantages to getting an upgrade from o2?

Loving my Streak!
  (#20) Old
Default 10-19-2010, 12:07 PM

DON'T DO IT!!! It's a slab of sh1t.

I got the desire hd this morning, wow, what a phone. This is a step, no leap, forward.
I previously had a streak, It's a step backwards.

See ya dell boys, your tenacity knows no bounds I'll give you that.

« FroYo Bug Reporting (DJ_Steve Version) | HELP! Can't install new apps! »