Dell Streak Forum for discussion on Dells 5'' android tablet, the Dell Streak

(#1) Old
Default dell streak's marketplace - 10-01-2010, 02:26 AM

When I enter the google marketplace and decide to download accuweather, it says this application has access to phone calls,network, location etc. exactly what does all this actually mean. I did try downloading accuweather and noticed it's name showed up within my phone contacts, I deleted this item for now and came here looking for a few answers as to why all this access just to download free software.
  (#2) Old
Default 10-01-2010, 02:49 AM

Check with the developer as to why they need this access; sometimes the link to the developer's page (further down the same page displayed where you see/download the app from) will land you somewhere where it explains it.

For instance, any app that let's you share information with your contacts, has to have the permissions to them, it's normally NOT anything sinister at all. With a weather app, it will need access to locational data if it's written (and/or you configure it) to automatically detect the data it should provide you, rather than you having to feed it your current zip code manually as you roam around.

So long as the explanation is plausible, and it's a popular/public enough app, I wouldn't be overly concerned. I'd maybe 'wtf' if I saw something like a wallpaper requesting that information, for example.

Here's a good example of some of the explanations:

And this is for an app that uses your camera to scan a barcode. Surprising just what permissions it seems to use, until you realise how it needs them to be able to do the other seemingly trivial/ancillary tasks like being able to save a web bookmark for you.
  (#3) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 10-01-2010, 09:57 AM

I'd just like to add that lot of the free apps require data connection/gps for the mobile ads they show you.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.

« Got my Streak Today! | Bought an AT&T Streak in Aust, should I upgrade yet? »