Dell Streak Forum for discussion on Dells 5'' android tablet, the Dell Streak

(#1) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Lots of O2 Streaks on Ebay.... Due to carrier lock? - 09-13-2010, 09:39 AM

It looks like people have given up with their Streak on O2, after no way of getting it unlocked.

There are loads on ebay, ranging from £200 - £450!

You just can't really get away with exclusive carriers here in the UK, there are 5 main carriers so the chance of you not being on the one they choose is quite big and with the contract norm being 2 years it's even more unlikely to catch people towards the end of their contract.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old
Default 09-13-2010, 10:41 AM

Yeah, I keep an eye out to see if there are new accessories and can't believe how many are for sale - and they aren't cheap.

I'm glad my old contact ended when it did - I just hope I don't get tempted by something else before my 24 months are up although now it's 23 months as O2 kindly sent me a message saying that I could upgrade early... LMAO coz 1 month will make ALL the difference.
  (#3) Old
Default 09-13-2010, 11:07 AM

I don't doubt that carrier lock is a valid reason but I'd wager that plenty of folk (rightly or wrongly) were pushed over the edge by the whole update fiasco. I wonder how many of the units on sale are buggy/crashy...
  (#4) Old
Default 09-13-2010, 01:57 PM

I was very frustrated after I bought my Streak outright from O2 on PAYG, and then discovered that it was still locked regardless. One of the plans I had was to sell it and buy one from Dell instead (that's before I discovered giffgaff).

If someone was bricked by the update, I'm sure the sensible response would have been to send it back to O2 for a full refund, rather than only get part of the money back via ebay.

The original 1.6 version was a bit awkward for answering incoming calls. I wonder if that was responsible for some of these ebay sales.
  (#5) Old
Default 09-14-2010, 01:03 AM

Hi all,

Personally i think you may find many of the Streaks on E-bay are 02 upgrades where people just choose what they think will get them the most money on re sale as are happy with their current device and use it as a form of cash generation.

I'm glad to say i now have an unlocked unbranded Streak after being misled by CPW on launch and getting my Streak via them which was then locked and branded to 02. Unfortunately my Streak after 2 months developed a hardware issue and 02 told me to go back to CPW and CPW told me to go back to Dell so i will never buy or have anything to do with either of them again as their customer service is atrocious .

I then suffered a disaster with Dell with it taking 29 days for me to get a replacement that when it arrived was a refurb and had a scratch on the front above the home, menu, back buttons and also a scratch on the speaker cover and a paint chip on the battery cover. So due to my issues and complaints i managed to get from Dell a brand 32GB unlocked unbranded Streak so at last am a happy Streak user again.

Dell Streak 32GB Unlocked Unbranded
Galaxy S 16GB

The only problem with common sense is that its just not that common.
  (#6) Old
Default 09-14-2010, 07:22 AM

I had a look through half-a-dozen of these ebay sales, all the ones I looked at looked like new sales rather than 2nd-hand sales, i.e., "opened only to check contents" seemed to be a fairly common phrase. The bottom-end price seemed to be around £290-310 which is quite a discount. This would tend to support Dogmann's theory about upgrades.

If I was buying a Streak now, I'd find it difficult to make up my mind which way to go - £100 less, but no warranty, or full price & warranty (or, £50 extra and unlocked from Dell).
  (#7) Old
Default 09-14-2010, 10:15 AM

I looked at a few, they were all SIMLOCK: O2

until there's a foolproof DIY SIM unlock then they're no good to me (O2 is rubbish in my area). I'm looking for a bargain Streak for my OH who is on Three. she was totally into the screen size (currently she has a Nexus One)

my streak I got from Dell unlocked, currently running the O2 Eclair with T-mobile SIM no problem.

wonder how long it'll be before some B stock, or EOL, or other refurbs show up ...
  (#8) Old
Default 09-14-2010, 10:31 AM

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel ...

Or is it just the front of an approaching train!!!
  (#9) Old
Default 09-14-2010, 11:25 AM

From what I've heard on the net, the 1.2 rebelsim released a week or two ago actually works well whereas the 1.1 was pretty much unusable (no 3g etc). I haven't used either myself however.

« Alternative fascias | whats the deal with you tube cant write comments »