Dell Streak Forum for discussion on Dells 5'' android tablet, the Dell Streak

(#1) Old
Default This is a great little computer! - 09-10-2010, 10:38 AM

I'm really enjoying using the Streak after years on an iphone, saddled with itunes. It's a remarkable achievement and the freedom of an open system where you can simply drag and drop files is a refreshing change after Apple. In comparison Android Market is brilliant. Having said that, there have been a series of cockups designed to test any enthusiasts patience:
1. I bought it from Carphone Warehouse having seen it on the Dell site "Unlocked" for ?449. Next to this was a link saying also available at CPW so I had a look - being near a CPW store in case of problems. Here the price was ?429 but what I did not realise until taking delivery was that this was not unlocked. That information was in the small print, a long scroll down, the man at CPW pointed out when I complained.
2. The upgrade to 2.1 froze the phone and it took 24 hours to get it back with the help of the Dell forum.
3. My music was WMA which would not play, but here a free converter to mp3 worked well directly on the Dell. Imagine trying this on Apple!
4. PC sync did not work, but what the hell - you could simply drag and drop everything into a backup directory on the PC.
5. The default music player is awful compared with iphone, but there are many alternatives on Market and currently Museek is looking great.
6. I like the new keyboard layout for speed, but miss the arrow keys with which you could move around the text in boxes - the touchscreen is too inaccurate for moving just a few letters back for corrections.
7. It wouldn't connect with Google for sync and Apps, until it was able to use the O2 network without wifi interfering.

I'm looking forward to further developments, and confess I've not had so much fun with a computer since getting my first BBC Micro (32k RAM, 1981, which did well until the IBM PC arrived). Incidentally that was developed by Acorn, who went on to develop the reduced instruction set processor - the Acorn RISC Machine - which I think became ARM Holdings, who make the CPU's for these "phones"

PS, the Streak fits well in a jacket-style wallet along with money and credit cards, and all fit well in trouser or jacket pockets. (I don't wear skinny jeans!). This is the sort of portable computer we used to dream about - and it even makes phone calls.

Read more: Comments on: Upgrade woes frustrate Dell Streak owners in U.K.
  (#2) Old
Default 09-10-2010, 10:56 AM

Oh boy the nostalgia in that last bit. Still sad I gave my BBC model B, with Z80 co-processor, away.
  (#3) Old
Default 09-10-2010, 11:07 AM

Me too, but I still have my second machine - the Acorn Archimedes, also with Z80 coprocessor, and it still works!
  (#4) Old
Default 09-10-2010, 07:51 PM

I was Elite on my BBC Model B
  (#5) Old
Default 09-10-2010, 09:24 PM

You should try Ultra Keyboard from the android market.
Its superb, multi-touch, extremely configurable, and has cursor arrows for you.
I swapped to it and found it much better than stock keyboard.
And like you, I love this machine!!
  (#6) Old
Default 09-12-2010, 12:33 PM

I'm glad someone sees this the same way as me.

I regularly use a Psion Series 5 at work due to a certain piece of hardware only running on this device, and the streak is just light years ahead of it... and the Psion was advanced for it's time.

The streak is just an all in one entertainment system with good camera, mp3 playing, video playing, camcorder, library, and all in a good package with a decent sized screen... oh and it's a phone too!
  (#7) Old
Default 09-12-2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by volcanodancer View Post
I'm glad someone sees this the same way as me.

The streak is just an all in one entertainment system with good camera, mp3 playing, video playing, camcorder, library, and all in a good package with a decent sized screen... oh and it's a phone too!
I fully agree! Also, it's fantastic as a mobile office... internet access over phone or wifi, email, syncs with Outlook using the latest PC Suite. The free apps are brilliant too. Cannot understand why DELL are not promoting it more.
  (#8) Old
Default 09-15-2010, 05:48 PM

I just wanted to add my little puff piece too. Given all the schtick the poor lil thing is getting recently.

I love it. I love its size, it feels great to hold it up and take a call, small phones are okay, but I get a lot less wind noise with this behemoth, and my god.. it's so darn thin! I had a pink wafer this morning, with my tea, it was massively thick in comparison to my Streak. (Wonder if pink wafers come in thinner varieties).

The software is relatively stable, not perfect I'll grant you, but I don't think of the bugs as, well, bugs, more like 'quirks'. I named my Streak 'Delia' sort of a play on 'Dell', and she's very much like a woman. Without trying to be sexist I mean. Treat her right, and she'll love you back, and mine, certainly does that.

Once again a proud Streak Owner