Dell Streak Forum for discussion on Dells 5'' android tablet, the Dell Streak

(#1) Old
Default Accesibility of the Second microSD card - 09-07-2010, 09:00 PM

Hey guys!
I am (will be in about 24 hours) proud owner of a Streak too (as soon as my friend comes back from Germany - where it was bought for 590 euro before VAT refund at airport, and seem to include Dell worldwide 2 year warranty according to seller, which seems great deal as its nowhere to be found outside UK unlocked).

I was reading a lot (not enough..) about it, however seems nobody really answered the question, can its internal microSD card be replaced?

Please look here: Dell Streak Teardown - iFixit
On step 10 hover over the middle image, then hover over the big one and 'view huge'.

What do you think? can it be replaced with bigger card? and if so what is the limit?

Also the fact cameras are actually detachable, does that mean one can replace it with 8MP one?

Otherwise, my other question (as many others), is will we (I mean not just O2 users) get the promised 2.1 upgrade at the very least?
I hope Dell stands up to their word and does that before end of year.. otherwise it may never happen.

And finally - its my first Android (and smartphone, to be honest..) - is it worth 'rooting' it? and installing some other custom ROM over waiting for official one? what are the advantages these so called custom ROMs offer and how stable are they?
  (#2) Old
Default 09-07-2010, 09:20 PM

Theres a big discussion about it on the modaco site.
  (#3) Old
Default 09-07-2010, 09:28 PM

I've read it's possible... I've got a spare 8gb micro SD i wouldn't mind switching it with.

Here are some links worth looking at:

US version questions... dual MICRO sd??? 16GB internal?? - Pocketables Forum

Hardware hacking this puppy, input? - Android @ MoDaCo

(not in english, but useful)
  (#4) Old
Default 09-08-2010, 07:36 AM

2.1 is out already. You should be able to update straight away.
  (#5) Old
Default 09-08-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by degriz View Post
2.1 is out already. You should be able to update straight away.
For the unlocked Streak? not O2? Are you sure about this?

My friend tried to check for new update while he was in germany.. with nothing showing up.

He will land tonight, then I see for myself.
But I'd appreciate the correct URL for the update please - in case it turns out the factory setting is wrong...
  (#6) Old
Default 09-09-2010, 06:46 AM

For the O2 phone, not the unlocked one. Personally I'd suggest waiting, if it's come out for the O2 phones then surely the unlocked phones can't be that far away (and it may give them a chance to resolve some bugs).

« Yet another USB car charger thread | New Dell Streak Firmware build 4917 (Android 1.6) »