Dell Streak Forum for discussion on Dells 5'' android tablet, the Dell Streak

(#21) Old
Default 09-12-2010, 08:50 AM

Wow that is pretty surprising; I fell up the stairs (somehow) dropped my Streak and there was barely a dent on it! Although the scratch resistant gorilla glass managed to get marked after two days living in my pocket by itself in its pouch.

Bloody technology!
  (#22) Old
Default 09-12-2010, 09:50 AM

My screen has a minor scratch that occured within some 40 second timeframe after putting it on a desk face down, how, I dunno.

Once again a proud Streak Owner
Powered by FroYo (official)
Locked to O2 - Curses!
  (#23) Old
Default Grrrrrrr for Gorilla Glass - 09-16-2010, 08:37 PM

I just posted this over on the Dell community as well:

I had my Streak for 6 days (and thought is was amazing) and then I dropped it from counter-top height onto a hard floor. 1/4 of the screen has spider-web cracks.

I take full ownership in the fact that I dropped it--however, it's unbelieveable that Dell provides absolutely no support for this phone--no spare parts and no repair service.

I have the official AT&T insurance, but the Streak also isn't supported by the insurance. The insurance company was originally going to give me a Blackberry Torch. After requesting that my Android device be replaced by another Android device, the insurance company is providing me with a Samsung Galaxy S as a replacement--for a $150 deductable. What's the use of $80 insurance if I have to spend another $150 dollars to use it for a $300 device? I could buy a new phone for $150 if I hadn't just extended my contract to get the Streak...

In all, the phone looks and works great (at least for me--before I dropped it, that is...), but I think it's scandalous that this phone has no visible support under it, either by Dell order support, Dell technical support, Dell Mobility, AT&T, or the AT&T insurance group. I won't even go into the details of how many people I talked to at Dell before I found someone who even knew what the device was ("Is it a laptop?").

My experience has been absolutely unbelievably frustrating. Now I have to decide if my Streak is going to be used as a paperweight or a coaster. Of course, I'll have to be careful not to cut myself on the tiny loose shards of gorrilla glass...
  (#24) Old
Default 09-25-2010, 01:30 PM

This is the second time I have heard that the official At&t insurance i enrolled for and was told it was for the Dell Streak is not going to be replace with the same phone. I was told by At&t it would replace by a refurbish or New Streak. When I have a chance I will have to call them and verify this. If this truly the case I will drop the insurance at 4.99 a month
  (#25) Old
Default 09-27-2010, 06:05 PM

I just got my Streak back from Carphone Warehouse having been repaired.

An office desk collapsed onto my leg, didn't hurt me but when I later went to make a phone call I noticed that the phone was broken.
The Gorilla Glass was ok, not a scratch, but the LCD screen underneath was trashed, could not see anything except a spider web spektrum of colours and cracks.

CW charged £157.00 for the repair and it took 2 weeks. £157 seems to be the standard CW charge.
They eventually replaced my old with new. So I bagged a new 16gb SD card, headphones and data cable and plug....which was nice.

My old company have promised to pay for the repair so hopefully the lack of smartphone for 2 weeks should be the only pain from all this.

Only problem is that I will need to do the battery cover mod again if the cover proves to be as useless as the last one, so far it's ok.

« Phone back from Repair on 1.6 | Nice little case from Poundland.... for a pound »