Dell Streak Forum for discussion on Dells 5'' android tablet, the Dell Streak

(#1) Old
Default If I buy the streak will I lose my unlimited plan on AT&T? - 08-11-2010, 06:14 AM

I currently have the iPhone 4 and am grandfathered into the unlimited data plan. If I purchase the Dell (at full price) will I lose my unlimited data plan??? someone please let me know!

(#2) Old
Default 08-11-2010, 07:19 AM

If you buy it unlocked from Dell it should be OK (but wait for someone else to confirm, please)

If you buy it on an o2 PAYG tariff it will still be locked to o2 and hence (for practical purposes) unusable in the USA despite you having paid for it up-front. I don't know whether this applies to the equivalent US PAYG contracts.
  (#3) Old
Default 08-11-2010, 06:15 PM

No you are grandfathered in. I've already made sure to run that by ATT.

For instance i will be going from a BB plan to a standard data plan but i can keep it unlimited.

From: Clarification on the New Smartphone Data Plans! - AT&T Wireless Community

As many of you already know, existing Smartphone customers who already have a Smartphone data unlimited plan on their account will be allowed to keep their existing data plan should they choose, even if upgrading their device to another Smartphone; this includes ALL Smartphone Operating Systems such as iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Mobile, webOS and Symbian. So, if you currently have a smartphone, such as a BlackBerry and would like to upgrade/switch to another smartphone like an iPhone, you can do so without losing your current Smartphone data unlimited plan.
  (#4) Old
Talking hmm - 08-11-2010, 09:49 PM

well if you upgrade then yes you keep it but you cant tether as thats something from what i know is a new option AT&T has just added to the new plan. your upgrade options might not give you as good a discount as the $299 with a new contract it might only be $50 off the $549.

also look at how much data you do use as the new plans might save you money as if you think you use the cheapest option it will save you money if you use more then that, i would stay with the old data plan.

« Buying a Streak? Want the extended warranty? | Google mandates Android standard »