Dell Streak Forum for discussion on Dells 5'' android tablet, the Dell Streak

(#11) Old
Default 08-03-2010, 11:06 AM

you get your iphone mate. and jailbreak it! there be another iphone next year. and iphone screen is too small, i got galaxy s and iphone.
  (#12) Old
Default 08-03-2010, 12:31 PM

I was waiting for the Streak release. The 1.6 didn't really bother me. These continual delays do bother me. For those that point at the supposed September release of 2.1/2.2 on the Streak: what makes you think that Dell will come even close to that timeline? They haven't been able to stick to one U.S. date yet with regards to the Streak.

I have pretty much talked myself out of the Streak now. I will be getting either the Dell Thunder or the Samsung Captivate. It just depends on which happens first: the Dell Thunder is actually released or the Samsung Captivate gets a stable build with a working GPS.

A 4" screen sounds about right for me after seeing my wife's iPhone4 and my buddy's Incredible. Plus, the Captivate fits perfectly in my carpenter pants' side pocket (not sure if the Streak would).
  (#13) Old
Expert Member
Default 08-03-2010, 01:12 PM

Good job! Big applause for just moving on instead of whining and crying about oh boo hoo, Dell this, Dell that.

(#14) Old
Default 08-03-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by pooey View Post
Mind if i ask why you went for the apple over something like the galaxy s?
Just held the iphone and wanted it instantly. I think the android marketplace put me off aswel, i mean, is any of the apps on there vetted? Apple just seem to have better auditing of applications. Maybe im being naieve but thats how i feel.

My streak is in a continuous vibrate as i write this really is terrible
  (#15) Old
Default 08-03-2010, 03:06 PM

None of the Android Market apps are vetted. Google is relying on users to raise issues relating to apps before they do something.
  (#16) Old
Default 08-03-2010, 03:28 PM

I'd rather a free market, for all it's problems, than allowing Steve jobs dictate what I can and can't do with my phone...
  (#17) Old
Default 08-03-2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Purple Zebra View Post
I'd rather a free market, for all it's problems, than allowing Steve jobs dictate what I can and can't do with my phone...
fair enough. I'm certainly not an apple fan boy so I'm not going to knock back what you think.

i just want a phone that functions as it should, has a good camera, plays mp3's and syncs easily with my PC and cloud apps(Google)

everyone has their particulars that need to be fulfilled.

so far, the streak
doesn't sync and doesnt have osx sync software available
doesn't have a good camera
doesn't have good video capture
doesn't have a good media player
does play mp3's but has a terrible speaker
does sync with google really well but the mail app is poor since you cant read email 'chains', only the most recent mail in the conversation

i would say though that maps are awesome and offline gps is great

another annoyance was my streak arrived without the 16gb minisd and both o2 and dell refused to give me one on the basis that they didn't believe me when i said it wasn't in the box

the crazy vibrate has now finally stopped and now the device doesn't vibrate at all
  (#18) Old
Default 08-03-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by smoker View Post
scientology has a new member lol oops i mean apple
The Leader is good I found a lima bean that looks like him.

... Apple does remind me of that episode ...
  (#19) Old
Default 08-04-2010, 11:15 AM

this depends on what you upgraded from tbf my previous was an iphone 3g

"doesn't sync and doesnt have osx sync software available"

i didnt know they missed out osx! are they trying to get back at apple for the crap itunes for windows? lol

"doesn't have a good camera"

my previous was only 2mp so 5mp with flash & front facing cam is a plus

"doesn't have good video capture"

my prevous didnt have it at all

"doesn't have a good media player"

granted the stock app is crap, im using 3 cubed instead much better included controls on the lock screen.

"does play mp3's but has a terrible speaker"

granted its puny but it also depends on what is played, I like classical so tend to notice how real instruments come accross better than the electronic sounds you youngsters are used to!

I think I posted this before but if you put the streak at full volume and play the opening score to 2001 you should hear all the instruments including drums clearly.

for speakers they really shouldve gone to bose!
  (#20) Old
Default 08-04-2010, 11:45 AM

Sorry guy's but it's a phone / PDA not a multimedia entertainment centre. It does still photos and video very well for a telephone. If you want your streak to play music or anything else loudly enough to entertain a room full of people you'll need an amplifier and speakers.

Decent music quality can only be achieved with decent speakers no mobile device can acheive this (and I mean NO mobile device that includes portable stereos). Volume and audio quality are totally dependant on the size of the speaker. Big speaker's also need a lot of power.

Plug your streak into a decent amp with reasonable speakers you'll get excellent quality. Don't forget audio quality is only as good as the source so a scratched vinyl album recorded via the microphone regardless of the bitrate or MP3, AAC, WMA codec will still sound like crap.

Multifunction devices are a compromise, you want the best then you will have to buy discrete items that are designed for that function. So if you want good quality photo's buy a camera etc...

As to our American cousins who are getting seriously impatient welcome to the club we had to put up with it before 4th June be the big man and deal with it quietly!

I see little point in Dell releasing the streak in the states with android 1.6 when with a SHORT delay they can deliver it with the Android 2.2 it desperately needs. The additional cost to DELL of the OTA update is I'm sure quite important to them.

« Mini Keyboard 4 dell streak | Dell Streak launch in Sweden/rest of EU? »