Dell Streak Forum for discussion on Dells 5'' android tablet, the Dell Streak

(#1) Old
Default Charging your Streak... my tips - 08-01-2010, 06:00 PM

I thought I'd share a few tips with you about charging my Streak which I've discovered (partly through being an electrical engineer, but also from general experience).

The streak charges using standard USB ports and will trickle charge from a laptop, however - if the screen is on you will notice that when you are using it heavily it will actually decrease in charge albeit slowly.

In car chargers are generally a no go unless you are handy with a soldering iron. The Streak needs around 1 amp to charge efficiently and many cheap ones only supply around 800mA maximum. If you can get a bigger one then you may struggle still - it's because the streak needs pins 2 and 3 (the middle two) on the USB socket to be short circuited. It's usually quite easy to do but does require some fiddly soldering.

If you want to use a SOLAR charger you're left with just one choice as far as I've discovered - the Freeloader Pro (the PRO is very important) from Solar Technology International, and even then prepare to dig your soldering iron out as you'll need to open the larger part up, remove the circuit board carefully, and solder across the centre two pins on it. You should be able to bridge the gap with solder as it's fairly narrow. The Freeloader Pro will give you about 80% charge from totally empty which isn't great, but it's enough for a few phone calls in an emergency.

Better instructions :

Hope that helps...
  (#2) Old
Default 08-01-2010, 07:54 PM

The 1.99 gbp car charger I bought works fine,
Been using it all this week, charges from 20%to full in about 2 hours with Google navigator running
  (#3) Old
Default 08-02-2010, 12:28 AM

I'm in my 4th week of Streak ownership now and have only ever charged the Streak from the car, since the initial charge from the power adaptor after I unboxed it.
I find my car charge (original Dell car dock kit) charges it to full capacity and just a 30 mins in the car most days is enough to keep it running without any other charges.

Streak supplied 8 July 2010, direct from

« Droid DOES; The Streak DOESN'T | Form Fit Case - £15.99 ! »