Dell Streak Forum for discussion on Dells 5'' android tablet, the Dell Streak

(#1) Old
Default Btfon - 06-25-2010, 11:48 AM

I use BT Broadband, and signed up yesterday for BTFON:

It basically means that I can get free Wi-Fi access via any BT Broadband customer's router, if it is in range, provided that they are also on the scheme. In return, I have to give away some of my bandwidth to anyone within range who wants to piggy-back off my router. Non-BT users can pay to use the system.

When I tried it just now, my access had been authorised, and I was able to log on and try it. I was able to find my own hotspot on the BTFON map, and there are several others in my neighborhood.

I'll go for a walk later with my Streak and see how I get on, using other people's routers.
  (#2) Old
Default 06-25-2010, 01:11 PM

I've been looking at this only yesterday. I'm not a BT broadband customer, but as I hope to have a Dell Streak soon, I'll be wanting to use WiFi as much as I can when I'm out and about, rather than using up my 3G internet limit too quickly.
The BTfon is an interesting concept and I did a few map searches and I was surprised how many were signed up to it. With this and BT's other WiFi access, I'm tempted to pay the extra and move to BT.
  (#3) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 06-25-2010, 01:22 PM

If you bought the Streak with any sort of o2 contract, you also get free hotspot access for life if I understood correctly!

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#4) Old
Default 06-25-2010, 01:35 PM

O2's contract comes with The Cloud and BT wifi access for free, you'll be able to use your login on BT FON hotspots IIRC.

« Availability of SIM free Dell Streak? | Help! What does your "About" section in Settings say? »