Dell Streak Support Forum for Dell Streak owners to get help and support for their Streak.

(#1) Old

Default search on the dell streak - 03-01-2011, 11:00 AM

After receiving my 2.2 upgrade which I greatly welcome, when I get on the net and visit different sites, after maybe visiting 6-7 sites and then try to visit still another site, I get this message saying my windows limit has been reached, so when I tap the menue button and tap the windows tab, I see all the sites I had visited with an X beside each one, I found that in order to continue my site visits I had to first tap the X beside those that I visited which then cleared the screen for me to continue. My question, is there any way to eliminate this limit thing allowing me to visit as many on-line sites as I wish without interuption. I have the samsung tab with 2.2 and I don't get this limited thing at all eventho I visit from site to site. Why is this 2.2 on the dell so different.
  (#2) Old

Default 03-01-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrihippi View Post
After receiving my 2.2 upgrade which I greatly welcome, when I get on the net and visit different sites, after maybe visiting 6-7 sites and then try to visit still another site, I get this message saying my windows limit has been reached, so when I tap the menue button and tap the windows tab, I see all the sites I had visited with an X beside each one, I found that in order to continue my site visits I had to first tap the X beside those that I visited which then cleared the screen for me to continue. My question, is there any way to eliminate this limit thing allowing me to visit as many on-line sites as I wish without interuption. I have the samsung tab with 2.2 and I don't get this limited thing at all eventho I visit from site to site. Why is this 2.2 on the dell so different.
Personally I get 8 browser windows however I'd question why on earth you'd need to open that many windows. I mean after all the streak is a tablet/phone not a computer workstation. Come to that I've seen full blown MS windows desktop computers struggle to display that many explorer windows.
I would imagine you are stretching the boundaries of available resources. Running apps shows 8 windows using 14Mb of ram, not as much as I thought it would be, but ram is not the only resource being used.
  (#3) Old

Default 03-01-2011, 06:12 PM

Apparently hard-coded into the browser.apk, and seemingly done to come in under the VM limit (14MB for you, might be nearer 40MB for someone else if the sites they visit are heavy on the content, and could land you with an out of memory error).

Brave souls may want to try their hands at rolling their own browser.apk, or else the solution seems to be: find another browser that meets your specific requirements

Seems other phone models have limited the browser window number down to as low as 4, presumably due to their non-tablet configuration (hardware as well as software config).

Reference:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/arch.../t-793782.html

« Browser error "Page contains too many server redirects" | Network mode - help »