Dell Streak Support Forum for Dell Streak owners to get help and support for their Streak.

(#1) Old
Default What do I do with WMV files to watch on the Steak? - 09-08-2010, 05:09 PM

I'm shortly going into hospital for a couple of days and thought I'd watch some training videos while there. I have a load of large WMV videos I've loaded onto my Streak (still on Android 1.6).
However they wont play. Looking at the file properties on my PC, these WMV files are 1024x740 and around 233-295Kbps data rate.

What do I need to do with these to play on my Streak?

I assume I had to convert them to MP4 files. So I've installed Hamster Free Video Converter (which looked a great peice of software), but this wouldn't convert anything! I've tried HandBrake, but this wouldn't open the WMV files.
I'm just installing Any Video Converter 3.07 to try the same.
If I need to convert them, do I have to specify the 800x480(?) size?

Streak supplied 8 July 2010, direct from
  (#2) Old
Default 09-08-2010, 05:48 PM

First look at the multitude of free apps on the Market that are derived from ffmpeg libraries to see if the playback rate is acceptable.

Physically these players will play the files, but due to their programming, individually may not be capable of the performance you seek without re-processing the video files.

For a start, look for RockPlayer, and see how that does with them. For me it's handled almost every file format I've thrown at it, including proprietary ones like .divx
  (#3) Old
Default 09-08-2010, 07:09 PM

Thanks. I'll have a look go with RockPlayer.

In the meantime I've been playing with "Any Video Converter 3.07" from and converted my WMV file to a mpeg-4 at 640x480 128 bit rate and this now plays on the Streak. The trouble is that the conversion is taking about 25 mins per file!

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

I tried RockPlayer and it still didn't play my WMV files. I also didn't like it at all as it kept looping to the "buy me" screen. Uninstalled already.

...I'll keep doing the file conversions for now. It would be handy to know what is the ideal conversion for the default media player. Anyone?

Streak supplied 8 July 2010, direct from
  (#4) Old
Default 09-08-2010, 11:25 PM

Video encoding usually takes a while (a 30min video taking 30min to convert would be reasonable), unless you're using an awesome CPU, a low-res video, or a really old, crummy format (like MPEG2), or some combination of the aforementioned.

I don't know what options "Any Video Converter" has, but to speed up conversion, you could potentially try:
- setting audio to "copy" or similar, so that it isn't rencoded (the original MP3/AC3/whatever audio gets copied to the output file)
- use a "mobile" preset. It'll have modest options.
- using Xvid/DivX/MPEG4 ASP video instead of h.264/AVC (h.264/AVC is awesome, but slow)
- turn off CABAC if using h.264/AVC
- reduce the number of B frames or references
- making sure "multithreaded" or "threads: auto" or similar is enabled (assuming that your encoding PC has multiple cores)
- you could also try an older format, like MPEG2. But you might not be happy with the quality for the filesize.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#5) Old
Default 10-20-2010, 02:29 AM

Your WMV file must have drm (digital right management) protection, you can try a drm converter.
  (#6) Old
Default 10-20-2010, 05:42 AM

arcMedia seems to work for most unprotected files, not always the best solution, it loses lip sync when you seek through tracks, and occasionally loses it on longer files the longer it plays, but it seems the only free option for now that works.

Once again a proud Streak Owner