Dell Streak Apps Discussion on Android apps and games on the Dell Streak go here.

(#1) Old
Red face Mobo Player - MP4 Video - 05-24-2011, 10:01 AM

I have constant problems with unreliability of the Streak's media player to always play videos or movies properly.

If I go to Gallery straight off, it plays well. But use some other Apps. and then try to play a video and it might not play the video, but put up a message and say, "Audio file only", and just play the sound.

So, I have just downloaded "Mobo" Player, and it works well (so far). It does not interfere with the stock player.

When you want to play a video/movie, an option comes up asking whether yot want Mobo Player to play it, or "Movies" (the stock player) to play it.

The volume control operates with an up gesture on the right of the screen, rather than the volume controls on top of the Streak.

So, here it is ....

Enjoy Your Video.The best video player on Android! Watch any of your videos on a phone without conversion, anytime and anywhere.
We feature the best playback experience and quality.
Our video player supports:
All video formats (need to choose "software decoding" mode in most cases)
Popular subtitle formats such as SRT, ASS, and SAA
Subtitles built in MKV, MPV, MOV, and others
Multi-audio streams and multi-subtitles
Playlists and continuous play on same type files
Videos streamed through HTTP, RTSP protocols
Media libraries and sort videos by type
Thumbnail displays of videos

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

The drawbacks of Mobi Player and probably any supplementary player are,

1/ You can't go to Gallery and select a video/movie, without being offered the option of player you wish to use.

2/ If you choose Mobi Player, it can't play the video straight from Gallery, - it directs you to tell it which directory the video is in. So you are shown the directories on the phone (I think) and the SD card to direct it. It's very easy to see the SD card directory.

Movies and videos are likely to be on the SD card, so you touch "SD Card" and the names of the videos/movies are shown there. Touch one and it launches.

If anyone knows of a supplementary player that can play straight from Gallery, please let us know.

With Apps such as MSNBC and Motor Trends which offer a series of videos, and in the case of MSNBC offering the next video, I thought this Mobo Player would be problematic.

Surprisingly, each video does not ask you which Player you want to use. All works as before (normally) - and I have no idea which player is playing them.

The other good thing about Mobi Player are the control gestures, and the capability of being able to quickly play a video via it, when the stock player refuses to play video and only offers audio.

The only way to get back to playing your video that wouldn't play, with the stock player, was to totally reboot the phone, which takes a quarter of a bus journey - well several streets.

I don't know whether I imagined it, but I was surprised by the volume being delivered, but I am not sure whether with the quick check I made, that I was imagining it.

This is the video player Dell should have made the stock player!

Last edited by Australian; 05-24-2011 at 10:04 AM.
  (#2) Old
Red face Mobo Player - MP4 Video - 05-25-2011, 08:25 AM

Just a few more things I discovered.

As well as using the right side up swipe to change volume very smoothly, you can still use the up top volume rocker switches. To the left of the screen, and a vertical swipe gesture alters screen brightness. Why couldn't Dell have done this?

And those videos from MSNBC and the like, are activated by the stock player, not Mobo Player.

This is unfortunate, as I discovered today when the stock player wouldn't play the videos, just audio - again.

So Mobo Player is not the TOTAL answer, - but works fine for movies, YouTube videos etc. In other words,- Videos. But it is good to have as a standby.

If you select with a tick to have Mobo Player as the default player, you will never seem to be given a choice again of which Player will play your Gallery videos, - as it won't ask again. So, probably don't tick the default option.

But if you do/did, then go to the Mobo Player App. in main "Settings', and down at the very very bottom (possibly in options or settings) you can deselect chosen attributes (not the word they use).

*** Had a problem today in the stock player decided to play 1/2 dead (audio only) and it's usurper imitated it. Dell needs to take lessons from Archos on how to make a product that works right, all the time.

Last edited by Australian; 05-26-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Problem
  (#3) Old
Red face Mobo Player - MP4 Video - Change of Heart - 05-26-2011, 10:33 AM

Well, I just went into Gallery, and tried from it's thumbnail the movie "The Seeker" (hate the narrow letterbox format), and was offered the 2 players - stock standard and Mobo Player.

I selected Mobo Player and it seems to have had a change of heart. Not only did it play straight away, but it played directly from the thumbnail.

Doubting Thomas tried a thumbnail that was from a YubeMate download, and it played this too, directly from the thumbnail.

So, why didn't it do this yesterday? Yesterday it was taking me to the phone's directories and SD card to find the video I wanted it to play.

But like today, I suspect that when the stock player goes 1/2 down, Mobo Player goes on a sympathy strike too. So, there doesn't seem any point in having it, if that's the case.
  (#4) Old
Red face Mobo Player - MP4 Video * Anyone Using It? - 06-01-2011, 08:09 AM

I decided to keep Mobo Player, as well as the standard stock player.

Mobo Player has touch slide gesture movement for screen brightness on the left side of the screen and volume on the right. So ssmmootthh!

But if anyone else has it, - how do you get it to continue from where it was closed off previously? The standard player does (when it works) and Mobo Player allegedly can (but doesn't seem to).

« StartTalking | BitDefender Beta »