Dell Streak Apps Discussion on Android apps and games on the Dell Streak go here.

(#1) Old
Thumbs up World Newspapers App. - More Than Just.... - 05-04-2011, 11:20 PM

Those of you who live in adopted countries, or interstate (in some countries) should be interested in this app.

Not only does it give you very quick access to overseas newspapers, it provides access to magazines and much more. I added an Astronomy magazine as a favorite.

E.g. - there are about 7 Android magazines, and as many car magazines, including "Top Gear". Just use "Browse" to search for "foreign" newspapers, or "Own Country" if looking for newspapers in your own. You can make any newspaper or magazine a favorite, by pressing gently on it's name for a moment.
That way, you can go straight to your newspaper or magazine. But you can't do this with videos.

Whereas I used to have the "Bangkok Post" RSS app, which took about 5 minutes to download an actual article, now it is virtually instant.

And Thais can read a wide range of newspapers in Thai, - as well as English.

For some reason I found Indian languages could not display. But there may be some that do work. I note the App. was developed by an Indian.

Yes, this has to be the best printed media app. on the Market. I suppose I should add, that the newspapers do not look like scans of actual newspapers, they are topic based, - so you take the John West approach and select the best, and reject the rest.

** I forgot to mention, there is a video section, including news videos of the day from Spain, Germany, Russia, USA, etc. and even Al Jazeera from Doha. These are in their native languages, but Al Jazeera is in English.

And as they all load very quickly indeed, you can watch the items without any freeze ups. Quality is not HD, but very good and similar to MSNBC's videos. So, if my Al Jazeera HD app. can't cope due to 3G dropping out, I can still very likely watch these. They use up very little bandwidth.

*By the way, I think I read that the Android Market has 13,000 more free Apps. than the AppStore or IStore (whichever).

Last edited by Australian; 05-07-2011 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Added information about a video section

free magazines, overseas newspapers, world news, world newspspers

« "Glympse" - Take a Glimpse! | Clearing Twitter Search History »