Dell Streak Apps Discussion on Android apps and games on the Dell Streak go here.

(#1) Old
Default Wisepilot navigation - 07-10-2010, 07:41 PM

Hello all,

I am really enjoying the Streak

As the summer holiday is approaching, I'm looking for a cheap option to navigate on the continent. Google navigation downloaded about 10MB Liverpool-Manchester-Liverpool (about 70 miles) and so that would cost £30 outside the UK (O2 pay as you go £3/MB) and so that is not feasible.

NavDroyd was a few pounds to pay (~£4) and the maps are free to download for offline use. The program however is limited, e.g. it does not have motorways preference (although this is on the future features list).

I have just downloaded Wisepilot and it seems like a very mature navigation software. After the 5 days trial I'd have to pay for using it but 1 week would cost only £3 (I assume that the giberish of �3.00 GBP means £3) which leaves only the data downloaded during navigation at £3/MB. According to their FAQs on the website, a 200km route takes only 40kB of data which is a lot lower than Google Navigation's usage. When I was playing with routes I have ended up with over 2MB usage (shown in About Wisepilot) but I suspect this was because the program has downloaded maps too.

I'll try out if navigation really uses such small amount of data because this may be the cheapest navigation solution for a week's trip on the continent with an O2 Streak.

Has anyone been through this and tried out Wisepilot? How much is its typical data usage for navigation only?
  (#2) Old
Default 07-13-2010, 01:00 PM

Copilot for android, costs a bit more but doesn't require map downloads as maps are supplied with the software. Over time it may be cheaper depends on your usage.
  (#3) Old
Default 07-13-2010, 01:56 PM

do any of the OSM mapping software on android do route guidance offline?

most of them allow you to precache, I was playing with OSMand which is nice, but the routing uses data. All the maps etc can be precached. ***

OsmAnd - Android app on AppBrain

*** as long as there is OSM coverage of where you're headed anyway
  (#4) Old
Default 07-16-2010, 09:35 AM

Navigon maps are downloaded to your device but be warned, their customer service is as good as none existent. Also, they have regular sales and the UK version has been as low as £17.99 so wait if you can

« 'office' apps | gameloft »