Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default SL on Mini 9 with 8GB SSD: problems! - 06-22-2012, 11:21 AM

Hi all,

So having got myself a Mini 10v and got SL on it with no hassle, I volunteered to do the same for a friend with his old Dell Mini 9 with an 8GB SSD. Biiiiiig mistake! Here's the scenario:

*The Mini 9 is on BIOS A00 - I cannot upgrade this as the battery is kaput, so the flasher I got from this forum to take it to A05 won't run as it says the battery gas gauge is empty. I don't think installing to A00 BIOS is a killer, but obviously if I could upgrade it it would help.

*I've managed to get SL installed "successfully" using NetbookBootmaker and the slimming down guides for Leopard for a single USB install to the SSD - I remove just the bare minimum to squeeze down the install size. However on every reboot after the Apple logo and the wheel of (im)patience I get a grey screen. The intro video music plays, and I can then muck about with VoiceOver, but that's it - I've left it for 1/2 an hour and the grey screen never disappears.

Things I've tried:
Running NetbookInstaller from the install USB after the "successful" install (same result - intro video music, grey screen)
Running NetbookInstaller as above but unchecking Chameleon (ditto)
Leaving it for 2 hours at the grey screen, as in one thread I note that someone had a usable screen pop up after 15 mins
Just doing everything a few times to see if blind luck will get it to work.

It's so frustrating as it's obviously *so* close to working fine and others have reported having SL working on the 8GB SSD Mini 9 just fine, but until I can get past the grey screen where I can't see anything, I'm stuck at just plugging away and hoping I'll find a solution by chance. Anyone have any suggestions?
  (#2) Old
Default 06-27-2012, 01:28 AM

Install on another drive and clone it to the 8gb SSD.
Even if there is room after trimming this helps immensely

Mini 9, BIOS A06, ChromiumOSJan3, 1 GB RAM, STEC Stock 8GB SSD, Bluetooth, 1.3MP Webcam

Mini 9, BIOS A05, Win XP SP3, 1 GB RAM, 16 STEC SSD

« updating 10.6 | Dell Mini 9 Audio with Microphone without VoodooHDA (Snow 10.6.2) »