Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Is this still a valid OSX machine? - 04-09-2012, 02:55 AM

I have never owned an apple product, nor have i used OSX that much, but i would like to learn it.

So basically im asking, is it worth it to buy a dell mini 9 for OSX or should i invest a little more for something more powerful? All i would need it to do would be run a web browser, play a low def movie or 2 and type up a few documents.

Btw, i used to have a mini 9 a few years ago and sold it, im kinda looking for a cheap way to learn OSX.

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#2) Old
Send a message via Yahoo to Wm.Mays
Default 04-09-2012, 06:08 PM

In my humble opinion, you're better off learning about OSX using full size laptop or desktop. OSX on the Mini 9 is more of a novelty, which Mini 9 was in general anyway. Too small and underpowered to do most tasks easily.

Stick to perhaps hacking a compatible desktop or full sized laptop, or going with virtualization program. Better yet, you can get an older used Apple.

MINI 9: Jade Green, RunCore 64GB SSD, Hyper-X 2GB RAM, Dell 5530 WWAN Card, Dell 1505 WiFi Card, Bluetooth 2.1, 1.3MP Webcam, Leopard 10.5.8 NBI 8.0.3 Final, BIOS A05
  (#3) Old
Default 04-09-2012, 08:58 PM

well,the main reason I am interested is because these things can be snagged for around 100 bucks on ebay, plus possibly an SSD upgrade.

I dont plan on using it for much, and I like smaller laptops,I went from a 8.9 Dell Mini 9 to a 11.6 Lenovo x100e to a same size Atrix Laptop Dock for my phone.

Here are my 2 concerns:

1. How limiting is the fact it can't run the new versions of OSX? As an example,your sig states you aren't even running Snow Leopard, is there a big difference between Leopard,SL and Lion?

2. Last week I messed around a bit with an old Acer netbook about the same age as a Dell Mini 9 (which is probably the main reason I got interested in this again),has a 160GB HDD, N270 and 2GB of RAM. It is running windows XP, but I tweaked it a bit to run really well, with registry settings, no startup items, limited services and a RAM Drive for firefox cache. Now I can browse a web pretty darn fast on that thing, and its running on a spinning hard disk. Comparatively, how does OSX run performance wise on a Dell Mini 9? If it can do the same tasks at a similar speed, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

thanks for any opinions

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#4) Old
Default fine for net surfing - 04-11-2012, 04:08 PM

Although fine for netsurfing, the system is slow

i have a 2gb upgrade on mine. you will definitely need to upgrade the hard drive as it's REALLY tight on 8gb standard (and slow)

It's also a bit of a chore to get it installed and last I looked, stable support stopped around 10.6.6-10.6.8 (osx snow leopard).

Still, it's fun and cheap.

I recently upgraded my Dell Mini 10v to a SSD and it runs much faster now. Still; limited.
  (#5) Old
Default Dell mini power - 11-30-2012, 04:49 AM

The Dell Mini behavior is great at the most tasks for a normal consumer...and ever more. You have to judge it in the right size.
Not all is the power of the computer, but the combination of 9", wifi, bluetooth, a great OSX working very well with usual software. Even gps and 3g connection with wwan cards. Itīs very versatile, a great combination.
About the question: the best SO now, and I think, and the last one in the Dell mini is gonna be the 10.6.8. Works little lighter than Leopard.
This compuer with all system working is really amazing, of course, Photoshop CS5 goes slow, but even go for simple actions!.
I have Adobe Lightroom and works very well, and works hard transforming RAWs to DNG format.
Itīs hard, cheap, useful, tiny, 4 hours battery alive...what else?...Put 10.6.8, all works!, and enjoy.

« Simple Terminal question from a noob | Sound and mic working with AppleHDA »