Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default Tried to upgrade to 10.6.8. Screwed it up. - 01-14-2012, 05:37 AM

I just bought my Mini 9 from a friend. He had it all set up for me but couldn't figure out how to get hs permissions off it. I tried updating the OS the same way I do on a regular Mac. Now on startup the screen flips between the Dell startup screen and the Apple one. I have his original formatted USB drive (it does not have the OS on it), and when the drive is inserted, the Mini starts up fine. Can't get wifi to work, though. So I have 2 problems. HELP PLEASE!!! Should I do a clean install? if so, how?

---------- Post added at 05:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 AM ----------

I forgot to add I am a Mac guy and some of the PC terminology is confusing to me.

Last edited by deanster65; 01-14-2012 at 05:38 AM. Reason: typo
  (#2) Old

Default 01-14-2012, 08:24 PM

OS 10.6.8's kernel doesn't support atom, so you have to get a custom built kernel.

blogdotnawcomdotcomslashlegacy_kernel-10.6.8.bz2

Unzip that and drop that file onto the root of your hard drive, then boot from the SSD.

Press shift key to get to the Chameleon prompt and type "recovery=yes", this boots into safe mode, and rename legacy_kernel in your root directory and change owner

sudo mv /legacy_kernel-10.6.8 /mach_kernel
sudo chown root:wheel /mach_kernel

(if you want to, mark the file hidden with "SetFile -a V" or "chflags hidden")

Reboot again, and this time boot loop will be gone, we are in OS X

Tags
problem after update

« A90 hackintosh doesn't wake up fully | Mini-9 upgrade 10.6.7 »