Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Webcam recognised; but not functioning - 10-12-2011, 07:33 PM

I've extensively searched this to find only two camps - those whose webcam isn't recognised at all, and out of the box functionality (the majority are the latter). Because no-one seems to have much issue, there were no manual instructions or kext files around on the topic.
I'm a long-time reader on here, and an extensive searcher since my purchase.

I'll start off with my hardware for y'all, and then continue in describing the problem.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 straight from DVD no updates
(drive prepared by NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4 RC1, USB Install)
Kingspec 16GB SSD
2GB ram
4400mAh battery (only as of this evening)
Fully functioning Ericsson WWAN card (landed on my feet with that one!)

In previous attempts at Hackintoshing it, webcam worked. (ie: when setting up account post install)

I have been running update extra, repairing permissions, etc.

Bluetooth (can't disable, even after applying 'fix', but at least is not broken by sleep)
Sound (no mic or headphones, but bluetooth headset workaround seems good enough)
Sleep seems to be working fine.
3G using sim slot or using phone as modem (SWEET perk of this ebay purchase! Bought with a failed SSD and lousy left-click, both resolved since. Also gave it a swish gloss white paintjob over a 3 week period, replaced speaker grills with red mesh)
Wi-Fi no problems at all

So the missing jewel in the crown so to speak, above niggles like wired sound and built-in mic... are the lack of webcam. This baby needs its webcam to be what it is meant to be, a portable organiser/communicator.

Now, the system recognises the 0.3 webcam. In Skype, and in Photobooth, it is listed and selected... to the effect of a blacked out square. My intuition from that, is that it somehow had a hardware fault or died on me, and my finger is hovering over a 5 delivered 0.3 replacement on eBay. The fact that out-of-boc functionality is expected, and that it has worked before, and is recognised by the system is making me lean to the 'it suddenly died view in spite of feelings of the 'how likely is that?' sort. For 5, it's not the most daring diagnosis.

But I would like to check first, in case there are some troubleshooting steps I can try? I have re-run NBI several times, including the xx51 special.

Thanks so much in advance.
  (#2) Old
Default 10-13-2011, 09:48 PM

Probably not a good alternative to 5 quid: take the cam out, connect it to any old USB Plug, and test it on another machine.

« Webcam not showing in profiler | My Mini runs Win7, balks at OS X - but other Mini runs OS X »