Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Grey screen of failure - 09-24-2011, 02:29 AM

Hi guys,

I recently was able to FINALLY get OSX to boot. I eventually booted in -s (single user) mode and got yet another blank grey screen, but could hear the setup music and the voice over commands. I then, that one morning last week, closed the lid of the laptop and re-opened it. Once the power light began to flash, I pressed the power button and I could see the screen. I turned voice over off and finished setup. It worked. Everything worked: wi-fi, sound, etc. I was so happy! Finally, I had OSX running on my Mini 9. My excitement was short-lived, however, as the computer gods giveth and they taketh away so, so much faster.

I then downloaded NBI special and the 10.6.7 combo update and followed the instructions on that. When I rebooted, I had the NBI icon instead of the Apple, however it sat there for 2 hours (I fell asleep during this time). So I powered it off and turned it back on. Got the NBI icon and a spinning wheel....then grey screen and nothing. When I did my open/close trick, I got picture, but nothing but a static-like noise from the speakers and it froze up on me.

Since then, I've gone through multiple re-installs trying to recreate what I did before. However, this time it freezes up when I do my trick. If I take off voice over it'll freeze. If I leave voice over on and try to continue from the setup field, it freezes. NOTE: it won't even boot normally and bring me to the setup with a grey screen like before. It just sits there at the apple screen now. Safe mode and -f don't yield anything either. Can forget about verbose mode as well.

Previously I've used a USB stick with 10.6.3 on it, but it was made with a mac running Lion. Forum user Underwhelmed was kind enough to make one for me using a mac running Snow Leopard. That hasn't changed anything. Same problems persisted.

I'm not sure what to do. It's been such a pain to get this to work. I always have a grey screen and fail to get this to work over and over for the past three weeks now. I just don't understand what the issue is. I'm writing, in the hopes, that someone has a solution and can help me figure this out. Otherwise, I'm left with no other choice, but putting windows back on it and selling it.

« install SL to runcore connected to macbook via usb | Periodical click after update to 10.6.8 »