Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default mini9 won't boot after Ralink driver uninstal - 08-04-2011, 10:21 PM

ok, here's the deal I have a Mini9 (2GB/32GB) running 10.6.6 happily fr quite some time now...

I was doing some wifi diagnostics for a friend and used his Alfa Wireless USB device which required the install of Ralink V4 USB drivers, the install and restart worked fine, I was able to use his evice and perform the required diagnostics... Today, I decided to remove the drivers since it was unlikely that I would need them again... I used the included uninstaller script with the package, when it came time to reboot the machine did not reboot... It hung at the blank desktop. So I hard powered it and it seemed to not slowly, Not quite as slow as a safe boot, but slower than normal. Then my desktop came up and the pointer, and the spotlight magnifying class. Nothing stop... I can move the pointer, but no click, no nada. Normally I would boot in safe mode and run Font Nuke to clear caches as this seems similar to the dreaded "corrupt spotlight cache" hang... Booting into safe mode works, I get the login screen but then I can't type my password or click anything.. Pointer moves... No action from anything... OK, I think, maybe the keyboard and trackpad drivers are fubar for some reason so I connect my apple USB keyboard and mouse... Same deal... Reboot to safe mode again same deal... Try normal reboot, same deal... Etc etc.. I booted into single user mode and checked that the contents of my Extra folder were as they should be (both USB and built-in keboard work fine in single user mode)... Everything seems o, reboot normal, reboot safe... Same story as before... If worse comes to worse I DID perform a full time-machine backup last weekend but I'd like to avoid re-installing and using it if possible. Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

sorry, netbookinstaller 54tbdj blah blah whatever is in use... If that helps...

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

er.... NBI yada yada ....51

« Running 10.6.0 where do I go from here? | SL 10.6.0 install Dell Mini 9 Users »