Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Mini 9 as a file server - 07-09-2011, 03:39 PM

Hi there,

Does anyone know if it is possible to install Snow Leopard server or perhaps even the upcoming Lion server on a Dell Mini?

For me it makes sense, since I am not using my Dell Mini9 anymore. It is a low power machine, and it will only serve as a modest file and iTunes server.

Any tips?
  (#2) Old
Default 07-09-2011, 03:49 PM

Lion and Lion server is impossible for 32bit atom procie atm.

It's worth to try to install Snow Leopard server on your mini, please try it, and then report it here the result.
  (#3) Old
Default 07-15-2011, 08:52 AM

Well, I managed to get it running with few problems. Installed from a 8GB USB stick and did not update anyting. Running 10.6.3 now.

There are 2 problems though, 1 small and 1 big.

The small problem is that the server cannot be configured from the mini9, the screen is too small for the software to run.
But on the Install DVD is a folder called 'Install' and in there you can download the admin tools to install on a regular mac, so config from remote is possible.

The big problem though is that I cannot seem to get the filetransfer to work properly. The mini9 only has a 100base ethernet port, so really fast transfers will never be possible, but for now I can download data from the mini9 server at a speed of about 4megabyte a second, but upload is only about 45k/sec.

So another challenge awaits...

If anyone knows a cure... feel free to share. I will keep updating this post with new data (if I have any to share).
  (#4) Old
Default 07-22-2011, 11:02 AM

If your upload and download speeds are that different, it could be the storage that's the problem, or it could be a bad ethernet cable or port on your hub/switch. Have you tried uploading from different clients connected to different ports on your switch? If you don't have a managed switch that can report errors to you, you might just want to try swapping the port and/or the cable to see if either makes a difference. If not, it could be your SSD (or whatever external storage you're uploading to. I don't know anything about SL server -- are there settings for caching? If you have 2 GB RAM and can configure some file server cache, that could help. But as I say, I know nothing...

Refurbished Cherry Red mini 9, 2 GB, RunCore 16 GB SSD; Bluetooth, 1.3 MP Webcam;
Mac OS X 10.6.7; NBI 20100616212351; BIOS A04, USB Legacy off

« Trouble getting to sleep... | Install Safari 5.1 on 10.6.2 »