Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#11) Old
Default 07-03-2011, 09:18 AM

I'm happy to report back, disabling the virtual memory does make the machine snappier. and no more pagefiles yay!

My advice is to keep an eye on the memory usage, and make sure your wired memory does not exceed much over 1.5GB. If your wired memory reached 2GB, your machine is going to freeze, because there is no more memory left for OS X to use.

Alternatively, try opening every app you need to use and open a few windows for each app, and see how much wired memory will taken up. If you are only emailing and light surfing. You will never hit the memory limit. However, you you run CS5, you could hit the limit sooner.

Thanks underwhelmed for the tip.

 MINI 9 | 2GB RAM | BIOS A05 | BT | 16GB STEC SSD | OSX 10.6.8 (NBI 2351+Legacy Kernel+SleepEnabler)
  (#12) Old
Default 07-09-2011, 07:46 AM

I've got SL freshly installed onto a 8GB SSD,no updates, and to be honest, I wish I had a larger hard drive. I'll be able to live with it since this is a hobby/internet laptop only. If that's all you do and you find a deal, why not bite the bullet. Installing can be a pain, since you have a few work arounds to contend with. These are all well-documented though. I'll be relying on a SD card.
  (#13) Old
Default 07-09-2011, 11:42 PM

Thanks, all. I sprung for a 16 GB Runcore. Did the install today, and it started well enough...

Refurbished Cherry Red mini 9, 2 GB, RunCore 16 GB SSD; Bluetooth, 1.3 MP Webcam;
Mac OS X 10.6.7; NBI 20100616212351; BIOS A04, USB Legacy off

« Problem with 10.6.0 post install | PLEASE HELP! bootefi problems »