Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#11) Old
Default 07-01-2011, 08:29 PM

The problem is NBI can't patch the new kernel correctly.

Reboot into safe mode by holding down the shift key and type in "recovery=yes" at the Chameleon prompt.

Once you are back in OSX, go to terminal, and replace the corrupt mach_kernel with the legacy kernel from Nawcom. Don't forget to grab the SleepEnabler as well, and install it via KextHelper.

 MINI 9 | 2GB RAM | BIOS A05 | BT | 16GB STEC SSD | OSX 10.6.8 (NBI 2351+Legacy Kernel+SleepEnabler)
  (#12) Old
Default 07-01-2011, 09:33 PM

Will give it a try ASAifindthetime. Thx!
  (#13) Old
Default 07-10-2011, 05:20 PM

Working for me :-) but one annoying issue that I had before that I don't think is related.

I followed the steps and boots fine, even Sound and Mic input working without problem which is good. My problem is when I reboot, more often than not the trackpad and keyboard are inactive and I need to plug in an external keyboard and mouse to continue... clearly not practical. I have to force shutdown and start over and hope it works - sometimes but usually have to try 2 or 3 times.

When I had this issue before I reinstalled the O/S Combo update (it was 10.6.5 at the time), reran NBI, repaired disk permissions etc but none of this worked. In the end I discovered I had USB Legacy Mode Enabled and when I Disabled it everything was ok.

This time around at 10.6.8, I checked and USB Legacy Mode was still Disabled. I changed it to Enabled, no difference, back to Disabled... sometimes works. I also tried reinstalling 10.6.8 combo, rerunning NBI and repairing disk permissions but no luck.

Not really sure what else I can do and not seen many other people having this issue either. But when I do get the keyboard and trackpad back, everything is fine.

Dell Mini 9 - Mac OS X 10.6.8 - 2GB RAM, RunCore 64GB SSD, USB Legacy Disabled, Working Sound and Mic.
  (#14) Old
Default 07-11-2011, 07:57 PM

Unfortunately it isn't usable simply because about 90% of the time I cannot use the Keyboard or Trackpad - they are unresponsive. If I boot into recovery=yes mode, the keyboard / trackpad is fine but then I have no Wifi. One thing I did note was when I boot into single user mode, this message pops up briefly

Unable to patch 64bit kernel. Please use arch=!386 to use a 10.6.2 or newer kernel. Can't find s

I then updated the mach_kernel from Nawcoms version (post 11 above) but it made no difference. Just for good measure I tried another 10.6.8 update but no luck. I think my only option is to start over with my 10.6.0 DVD and reformat but I'd really not want to go down this path if I can avoid it.
  (#15) Old
Send a message via AIM to DaveInSJ
Default 09-28-2011, 08:24 PM

I installed 10.6.8 following post 7 in the "26776-easy-10-6-8-update" in /dell-mini-9-os-x-discussion/

Originally Posted by dchao View Post
Got everything working including sleep and sound.

Here are the steps I took (from a fully working 10.6.7 DM9):

1) Repair Disk Permissions

2) Download nawcom's legacy kernel and SleepEnabler, unzip both files and put them in your root folder

3) You will also need Kext Helper b7

4) Run NetbookInstaller Special (xxx2351)

5) Download and install 10.6.8 Combo Updater

6) When it is finished, let it reboot (do not run the NBI special again)

7) NBI special will run automatically (takes about 10 min) after reboot, and then you will get the reboot loop

8) Press shift key to get to the Chameleon prompt and type "recovery=yes"

9) Boot into safe mode, and rename legacy_kernel in your root directory and change owner

sudo mv /legacy_kernel-10.6.8 /mach_kernel
sudo chown root:wheel  /mach_kernel
(if you want to, mark the file hidden with "SetFile -a V" or "chflags hidden")
10) Reboot again, and this time boot loop will be gone, we are in OS X, sound is working, but sleep is not. Now we need to fix the sleep crash.

11) Run Kext Helper and drop SleepEnabler.kext into its open window or icon

12) Finger crossed. Restart your Dell Mini the last time.
Took a bit of effort at steps 7, 8 and 9 for me, to which I say, "Retry, retry, retry." Once I got it to complete, it's worked very well. I run my shell scripts to test Android devices on it, which required installing Java, which didn't work until 10.6.6.

Still little hiccups, like some content on an microSD card via an SD adapter can block mount, but not via a USB microSD adapter. Delete content and all's well. Odd, but with a workaround.

Apple Store takes a LONG time to load the first time.

The Logitech MK320 has, once, failed to function despite having it's USB dongle in.

Still no Bluetooth. Investigating.

NOTE: New here, so I can't post links yet. Go to the original to get the links

 MINI 9 | 2GB RAM | BIOS A04 | BT | 32GB SSD | OSX 10.6.8 (NBI 2351+Legacy Kernel+SleepEnabler+ExtDVD fix)
 MINI 10v | 2GB RAM | BIOS A06 | BT | 120GB HD | OSX 10.6.7 (NBI 2351) /Windows 7

« Periodical click after update to 10.6.8 | No sleep on OSX 10.6.7 »