Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Trying to get Snow Leopard on Mini 9, can't even get started! - 06-13-2011, 10:15 PM

Hey guys!

I've been reading and reading and reading FAQ's and forum posts for the past week on this problem. I'm banging my head against the wall and I figured it was time for a post.

I have a new-to-me Dell Mini 9, upgraded to 2 gigs of RAM by the previous owner. The SSD is a new 32 gig I just popped in, it's NEW, never had anything installed on it. BIOS is A04.

I've been trying to get the boot loader going to start the process going. I have a few thumb drives I've been trying (2gb to 4gb in size) all with the same results.

Using TransMac to format a drive with the NBI disk image (NBI_084RC1.img) the Mini boots with an ASCII windmill, then a grey screen with -

Unable to patch 64bit kernel. Please use arch=i386 to use a 10.6.2 or newer kernel. Can't find mach_kernel

I also tried another boot image, DellMiniBoot123v8.01 - with that one I get -

can't find mach_kernel

Also, I have a second Mini (a pink one!) that I just setup with WinXP to give to my niece. That Mini does the exact same thing with the boot loaders.

I have a Windows 7 64 bit PC, I don't have a Mac, but access to a Mac could be arranged if push came to shove.

Any ideas on how to solve this joker would be BIG TIME appreciated. I'd really like to try out OSX on this little dude!

Thanks in advance,

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

This is SO dumb. You need to have BOTH the NBI boot USB key *AND* your USB key with MacOS on it plugged in when you boot. If you just have the one, no go.

Hopefully others will find this and learn from my mistake!

It's up and installing as we speak - yay!

« Thinking about a Dell Mini 9 | No Wifi »