Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default OS X 10.5 on A90 - Can't find mach_kernel - 05-17-2011, 06:58 PM

I had OS X 10.5.8 running fine on my A90 until the Runcore SSD died. Now, 3 months later, I have a replacement, so I'm trying to dust off my memory from 2 years ago with the help of the guides here. I have a 10.5 retail DVD, a couple of USB sticks, the 10.5.8 combo update (downloading 10.5.7, in case it makes a difference), and NBM 0.8.3 RC3 and 0.8.4 RC1.

I can restore the DVD image to the 8 GB USB stick, and run NBM 0.8.3 rc3 without problems--0.8.4 rc1 won't see the device to install on it. I can boot and install Leopard from the 8 GB stick/NBM 0.8.3, and I have no problems. The installation proceeded without errors, I was able to boot from the SSD.

On the reboot, I got the usual sound and light show for a new installation. I went though the Q&A for the new setup, and then ran the 10.5.8 Combo update. Reboot again.

I rebooted in safe mode (-x at the Chameleon screen). Partway through the boot process, the computer spontaneously rebooted. I again entered the -x to boot in safe mode, and the system started up completely. I ran NBI again and rebooted.

Now, when I try to boot, I get "Can't find mach_kernel.10.5.6" and can't get any further. Of course, the currently-installed OS should be 10.5.8, so I'm not sure why it's looking for 10.5.6.

I've tried searching, and I've found references to the issue, but I haven't seen a resolution. Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

« help! macuser converting to os x, but cant figure out this mini | My 910 is on it's way! »