Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Old Mini 9 beeing revived, but... KP! - 03-10-2011, 09:56 PM

Im trying to bring my old mini 9 back to life. Yesterday I got a Runcore 64GB SSD for it.

Spent all evening yesterday, and several hours tonight as well...

I cant get it all working.

I tried with both a 10.6.0 and NBI 0.83 and 10.6.3 andboth NBI 0.8.4 and 0.8.5pre.
It KPs at various stages of booting... with 0.8.4 and 0.8.5pre it did start chamelion but KP during the spinner icon. With 10.6.0 and 0.8.3 It KP'd before loading chamelion... I could read it said kernel mismatch...

Right now Im trying again after flashing the bios from A04 to A05.
Im following the mechdrew install to SSD instructions to the letter.

What could be the issue? Any suggestions?

Update: Ok time to get some sleep over here. I have now also tried it with 0.8.4 10.6.0 again and also 10.6.0 on USB rather than on the SSD using the netbookbootmaker. it still KP's before I can actually do anything whatsoever...
Any point in trying to format the SSD drive as a MBR rather than GUID? (It shouldnt work right?)
Since I just spent the money on the run core Not getting it running is really not an option....

I would really appreciate some thoughts on this...

Last edited by bastardizer; 03-10-2011 at 11:31 PM.
  (#2) Old
Default 03-11-2011, 09:49 AM

Oscar suggests this: "Try rebuilding the partition table: format the entire drive as ntfs, with MBR partitioning table, and then format back to Mac OS extended journaled." Don't know if it will work for you but, apparently, it's worked for others with SSD problems.

Mini 9| 2Gb RAM | 32Gb Kingspec | OS X 10.6.8 | 16Gb SDHC | webcam | BT | Wifi | NBI 0.8.4
MacBook Pro (Late 2007) | OSX 10.10.4
  (#3) Old
Default 03-11-2011, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.

But it didnt help unfortunately...

I did it a few times as best as I could.
Interesting enough... W7 install wont let me force format it into a mbr ntfs disk since its connected over USB... So I tried to format ir to empty space and mbr, but still w7 wont format it...
Ill try an old xp installer tomorrow, but Im not sure if it will allow me to format it over usb on XP either?

Ive spent a number of hours on this now both reading here and testing and re-testing, and Im no closer to a solution than I was when I first started...

If nothing else Ill try installing XP on it (I have no idea how to yet though) as I dont have a external DVD drive, I guess I should be able to do a USB install somehow ( or clone a existing w7 install perhaps). I need to see if it wotks at all or if there's some issue with the unit itself.

Helpful cheering appreciated!

Last edited by bastardizer; 03-11-2011 at 10:18 PM.
  (#4) Old
Default 03-15-2011, 06:07 AM

You tried 10.6.0 and NBM 8.3 final? That has always worked great for me. Are you using a genuine SL disk?

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

(#5) Old
Default 03-15-2011, 06:30 AM

Can someone point me to the nearest English class?
I've read those darned instructions a hundred times.
Printed em out to be able to make sure I follow them to the letter.
I realise that every bloody time I've created a dsdt? File on the mac before running it on th mini! Jeez I'm daft!

Well, problem solved!
Running just fine. Now I just need to get a good battery for it. The two 4400mA ones I have are just blinking and the original won't load anymore.
I think I'd better order the MDD ones they seem to be working a least.

« What about the Lion? | 10.5 0r 10.6 on Vostro A90? »