Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Ready to quit trying - 12-22-2010, 05:49 PM

So I figure I've installed OSX on my mini 9 somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 times, each time with no success. I had previously run Leopard on my mini 9, and successfully upgraded it to snow leopard, but became infatuated with some of the netbook Linux distro's and of trying Windows 7 on the netbook. Now in trying again, I'm hitting constant failures and can't figure out what's going on.

Here's what I've done, Restored my 10.6.0 GM retail Snow Leopard to numerous USB Flash drives, just recently a brand new 32 Gig Sandisk Cruzer, run NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4 RC1, safely eject the flash drive, boot from it on the mini, format the 32G SSD with HFS+ GUID etc, install after removing the languages, fonts and printer drivers I don't need, install finishes and the mini auto reboots, goes through the grey apple screen with spinning logo then a grey screen, I hear the startup audio and hear the "if you would like to use speech to set up your mac" spiel, but no video, just a blank grey screen. If I boot with -f I get the same thing but if I wait about an hour or so, the system will finally go to sleep, and when it wakes, I can see the menu for setup but the keyboard and mouse do not function, leaving it on this screen overnight, no change. once and only once did It somehow manage to work, I got the desktop, repaired permissions and re-ran the netbook installer and it never got back to the desktop.

I also swapped my disk at the apple store for at 10.6.3 disk and repeated the above steps with no change. I'm confused and frustrated and would love a little help.
  (#2) Old
Default 12-22-2010, 07:54 PM

Boot from your installer USB and run NBI from the Utilities menu.

If you catch it on the initial install and do that before it reboots, the mini has all the kexts and extensions it needs installed the first time it runs.

Otherwise you get no video and may or may not hear the into music.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
  (#3) Old
Default 12-23-2010, 01:33 PM

From where you are I would reload 10.6.0 and do what underwhelmed said, or just use NetBookMaker 8.3 final, it has worked great for me in just that situation. Either way you may as well go all the way to 10.6.5 so you'll have to then switch to the patched NBI anyway before going ahead with the combo update. Do all that before fixing the Mic cause you'll lose it.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

« 10.6.5 - bluetooth terminal mod not working? | 22" TFT an Mini 9 A04 10.6.4 »