Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default 10.6.5, NBI 0.8.4 RC1, Dell Mini 9 speedstep not working - 12-03-2010, 01:59 AM

Hi Guys,

I used to use VoodooPowerMini to control the speed step on my mini 9 running an older version of NBI.

However, I updated to 10.6.5 and also updated the new NBI.

I understand that the new NBI applies speed stepping support, thus no longer a need for VoodooPowerMini.

I've noticed the Voodoo extension also kernel panics my system.

I've noticed my system's "Model Name" is now "Mac" instead of "MacBook4,1" which is why I believe it isn't applying a speed stepping profile. This was from reading one of Meklort's posts, which unfortunatly I have lost .

What I can't work out is how to change the system's "Model Name" identifier.

Any Clues?
  (#2) Old
Default 12-04-2010, 03:42 PM

I'd suggest either changing this thread's title (if possible) to "How do I change the system's model identifier?" ---if possible, I've never tried it on this forum---or begin a new thread, since that's what you want to know, not about speed step, am I right?

In my experience, unless you target your thread titles perfectly with someone else's experiences it'll get overlooked here.

Sorry I can't help your issue however. The newer NBI you ran---was it NBI 2000 blah blah (long name, specific to the later versions of 10.6.)?

« After using Migration Assistant, OS X won't load. | Dell mini 9 - upgraded to 10.5.8 what version of netbook installer? »