Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Smile Slightly OT: Mini 9 Hackintosh goes Star Trek - 11-24-2010, 07:05 AM

Ok, so this is not about my experience installing MacOS, but it does involve a Dell Mini 9 Hackintosh.

When I'm not working my day job doing software for supercomputers or hacking computer stuff together at night for fun (I was the original developer of the MacOS SDHC driver for the Mini 9 - if anyone is interested in helping maintain it, send me a PM), I'm a lights and sound designer for theater. Occasionally, I also do tech-centric prop items.

The last 3 years, I've been done a show in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area called "Klingon Christmas Carol" (Commedia Beauregard - Home) which is, well, Christmas Carol translated into Klingon performed by people dressed as Klingons and narrated by a Vulcan.

This year, I decided to make a PADD (those pad-like things people on Star Trek carry around) for the Vulcan narrator. I chose to do it with a Mini 9, along with a custom USB keyboard I designed. I thought you all would appreciate some pictures of a Dell Mini 9 Hackintosh, running PowerPoint, in a case that you're definitely not used to seeing it in

The pictures show the disassembly of the Dell Mini 9, so if you want to see every step of a complete teardown, take a look! It also shows the absolute minimum Dell Mini 9 with a screen: the screen, the motherboard, the battery, and the power switch. Laid out flat on a table, it actually runs like that!

A few random stats: The PADD has 125 distinct parts that I had to assemble. Including the power adapter, 6 of them are from the original Mini 9!

Hope you enjoy and sorry for the slightly off topic post!

« What to update? Pros and cons? Currently on 10.6.0 | Pulling my hair out OS X 10.6.3 install »