Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Hackintosh slowing to a crawl - 09-29-2010, 09:14 PM

I don't know if it's me or what but it seems my mini9 is just too damn slow running 10.6.2. I get the beach ball of death constantly and its becoming too much of a pain to get anything done. I've toyed with the idea of running Ubuntu or Mint 9 to see if they run any faster, but from what I've read people seem to think OS X runs fairly smooth. So ultimately what I'm asking is, has anyone had better luck with other operating systems (excluding Windows) than they have with Mac OS X, especially in regards to speed?
  (#2) Old
Default 09-29-2010, 10:04 PM

i have 2 mini 9's one running OSX 10.6.4 the other running mint 4 - to be honest I have no problems with either unit.

My kids are now using them and so far both seem happy with their respective OS's - in saying that both my mini's do run 64gig runcore SSD's with 2 gig ram.

linix mint runs out of the box with only the wireless drivers needed to be downloaded, my eldest (9 yo) loves the wiggly windows and other effects all which seem to run fine. Paige like OSX - in saying that she was upset yesterday cos she wanted to play some flash games and did not know how to download the flash player.

Overall if OSX is causing u drama then I would not hesitate to recommend mint - speed wise for me side by side it's similar to OSX - but then I have a high spec'ed mini 9 with a slower SSD and less ram you may not see any improvement on your mini when compared to OSX.

« Appears sleep works but on battery uses excessive power and runs flat? | Target volume and disks are gone... »