Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Mini 9 10.5.8 Won't boot stuck at white screen - 08-09-2010, 09:24 AM

My Mini 9 wont start up anymore. I am stuck at the white screen with the spinner. I am running 10.5.8 and it has worked fine for about a month. I have tried -x, -v, -s, -f and nothing works. I have a STEC 16gb SSD. I can mount it to my MacBook via Runcore enclosure that I bought. Can I easily fix this without re-installing? If I must re-install, will I lose my files?

Thanks for the replies.
  (#2) Old
Default 08-26-2010, 02:09 AM

I've got just about the same problem. I upgraded from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8 and now it will only load to a blank white screen.
I can't even get into safe booting, the loader won't respond.
  (#3) Old
Default 08-27-2010, 12:14 AM

If you still have your USB install flash drive (and you should), and you used the NBM/NBI method, boot from that as if you were going to do a fresh install, but select NBI from the Utilities menu and run it again, including Generate Custom DSDT.aml file.

Re-boot and you should be good to go.

Just as a side note, if you would edit your signature with your machine specs, it makes it easier to offer help. NBI or DellEFI, it makes a difference as far as giving you the proper advice.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
  (#4) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to capngene
Default Lost everything after upgrade to 10.5.8 - 09-14-2010, 04:08 PM

I stupidly upgraded to 10.5.8 and lost everything. I got the white scren and spinning thing but it would not boot. I reverted to an external USB hard Drive with 10.5.6 and it worked fine with the old operating system. However, the internal 64 GB runcore drive is not recognized. I tried Disk Utility and it saw the runcore. I tried repair and it said it was good. So I tried restore, it wouldn't restore. I tried erase and now it doesn't even show up in disk utility., At one time I got a message something like "no mounting point".

Is there any hope? I would even consider going to WIN XP just to get the computer working again. Now, whenever I boot without the external USB drive I get "no operating system found".

Is there perhaps someplace I could send the 64 GB internal USB to have it re-flashed to factory? Perhaps the problem is in the basic bios. I don't get a DELL screen when the computer first starts.

« Hoda Touchkit, mini 9 & Snow Leopard | Dell Mini 9 - No Battery Available AND Power Source Battery when no battery present »