Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Issues installing 10.6.3 onto Vostro a90. - 08-03-2010, 12:33 AM

Bought a retail disk today. It's a 10.6.3 retail disk. And I'm having some trouble with it.

I followed the steps to formatting the flash drive, restoring the DVD onto the drive, and using NetbookBootMaker. But here's where the first problem came in.

I'm using Leopard on the computer I used to make the boot drive, and apparently the latest version of NetbookBootMaker that supports 10.6.3 does not support Leopard anymore. It crashes every time I try to open it. So I decided to try using the previous version of it. It loaded fine and made the drive bootable.

However, almost immediately after booting to the installer, it kernel panics and reports "version mismatch between kernel and CPU PM" or something to that effect. I've tried booting the installer in safe mode, but to no avail.

Someone please help me.
  (#2) Old
Default 08-03-2010, 02:02 AM

The new version of NBM doesn't support Leopard as far as using it to install Leopard, it should run fine on a Leopard machine to make your USB.

I remember someone saying the link on Mechdrew's site for NBM was to a bad version. try this one, it's the latest.-

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
  (#3) Old
Default 08-03-2010, 03:01 AM

Upon running this application, it says that I cannot run the application on the version of OS X installed.

I found this guide: Fresh Install of 10.6.3 from Retail DVD?

So far, this method has gotten it to stop kernel panicking, but it's DREADFULLY slow booting into the installer, if it even does at all. I've had to try several different boot flags, and so far, I've gotten it to the installer once, but then it ended up hanging.

Several times while booting into verbose mode, I noticed that it would often stop on "DSMOS has arrived." Then it would go on to say that something related to ACPI timed out.

« 8GB SDD, CCC not working to boot off SSD, USB works fine help pls? | new mini 9 and osx install. »