Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

(#1) Old
Default Best way to create Mini 9 Hackintosh - for app development - 07-26-2010, 05:39 AM

I've looked through several methods for creating a Mini 9 Hackintosh. It looks like there are many different ways to create a Mini 9 Hackintosh -- but a lot of these methods result in unwanted side effects (such as missing audio, etc).

Here are the two that I'm considering:

1) NetbookInstaller 2: USB Mac Installation via Any Operating System | Guides | OS X | mechdrew - requires a Mac, as well as 2 flash drives.
2) How To: Hackintosh a Dell Mini 9 Into the Ultimate OS X Netbook - does *not* require a Mac (or so it seems?), and only needs 1 flash drive

I need to run Mac primarily for iPhone/iPad app development, and I need to have all functionality (not missing sound, graphics, etc.). Has anyone been able to get all functionality with either of the above methods? Which method has worked for you?
  (#2) Old
Default 07-26-2010, 02:44 PM

The method detailed in the Mechdrew guide is the only one to use if you want support around here. If you want a full functioning Mini9 your best bet is to stick with 10.5.8 and NBI 0.8.3. You can get a fully working Mini9 on 10.6.X but it will require several fixes that have not been incorporated into NBI installer (to fix Mic and Sleep issues).
  (#3) Old
Default 07-26-2010, 11:49 PM

When I originally installed Leopard last year, I used MechDrew's method to copy a factory Leopard install DVD image to an 8 GB USB key. Worked great, though it did require borrowing a friend's MacBook.
This year I started from scratch with Snow Leopard, again with a factory install DVD, using an external USB DVD drive and NetbookCD v 0.8.3. After successful install, I upgraded to NetbookInstaller to 0.8.4 RC1 instead of the 0.8.3 that's on the CD. This also worked great, didn't require borrowing a Mac, and didn't require having the spare 8 GB USB key. If you have an external DVD drive handy, I'd try this method first: NetbookInstaller 3: Installation via External DVD Drive using NetbookCD | Guides | OS X | mechdrew

You definitely need to be running Snow Leopard to use the newest Xcode with the iOS 4 SDK. Runs great on my mini9 -- a little slow to launch and compile, but 100% functional. The installer insists on putting Xcode on the boot drive, so you'll need about 7.5 GB free on your SSD. You'll probably want to use an external monitor for development -- I have an old Sony E400 running at 1280x960 that works great.

Dell Mini9 BIOS A06 2GB RAM 32GB RunCore MacOS 10.6.7 NI 20100616212351
  (#4) Old
Default 07-28-2010, 04:00 AM

Mechdrews guide is the best you'll get at this point. Its the most up to date.

gizmodo's guide is ancient in comparison!

Cherry Red Dell Mini 9 | 2 GB RAM | 16 GB STEC SSD | 0.3 MP Webcam
BIOS A06 | 10.6.8
  (#5) Old
Default 07-31-2010, 04:51 PM

Used a Mac and Mechdrew's guide to make a bootable USB - updated version found here: NetbookInstaller 1: USB Installation via Mac | Guides | OS X | mechdrew and then incremental updates from there on in... have had some issues owing to still using the mini 9's standard SSD but this forum's support is amazing.

Mini 9| 2Gb RAM | 32Gb Kingspec | OS X 10.6.8 | 16Gb SDHC | webcam | BT | Wifi | NBI 0.8.4
MacBook Pro (Late 2007) | OSX 10.10.4
  (#6) Old
Default 08-07-2010, 01:44 AM

Just tried working through Mechdrew's guide, Windows version... Everything went fine on creating the USB drives - except on bootup and load on the Mini I get the panic error:

Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU

Incidentally the secondhand 16 GB SSD I just got booted up with "invalid partition" (without the USB's) - not sure if that has to do with it.

« Firefox Update -- Infinite Boot | USB DVD drive »