Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Question Which hex code to boot on the internal sd reader (Type11 bootloader) ? - 06-27-2010, 08:14 AM

I have a Dell Mini 9 with a crashed 16 Go SSD. (At start : "SMART failure predicted on hard disk 0 : STEC PATA 16Gb-(PM); Warning: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard drive. A failure may be imminent.; Press F1 to Continue")
I have successfully installed OsX 10.5.x on an 16Gb SDHC with an external USB reader/writer following this guide : ""
The only difference is when using "Type11 bootloader v8.01", I boot on the external SDHC by typing the hex code "81" (USB1) and not "80" (SSD).

I would like to use the internal reader instead of the external one but OsX does not allows to install on the internal SDHC so I had to install OsX 10.5 with the external USB reader.
Then I have put the SDHC in the internal reader but I can not boot on it. (I have tried a few hex codes : 80-9f)
Is there an hex code to boot on the internal sd reader with Type11 bootloader ?
Or is it impossible to boot on the internal SD reader of a Dell Mini 9 ?

Best regards,

Alexandre (Fr)

Ps : If you know any cheaper solution than remplacing the SSD to solve the "Smart failure", I would be glad too.
  (#2) Old
Default 06-27-2010, 11:20 AM

Some/most of the newer Minis do support booting off a memory card in the internal reader. But I believe the Mini 9 can't. It'll boot off a memory card in a USB reader or any other kind of USB storage, but not off the internal reader.

It should be possible to have most of an OS on a card in the internal reader, but the bootloader (early parts of the OS) would have to reside on a USB drive, internal SSD, etc.

If you can't find an affordable Mini 9 SSD, the best solution would probably be a small USB flash drive. A SD card in a external reader is fine, just a bit large. A microSDHC card in a tiny reader would be great, but they tend to be pricey and/or slow.

Good luck.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 06-27-2010, 11:35 AM

Ok, thank you very much ! :-)

« mini9 running perfect w/ 10.5.7, a04.. questions about upgrading? | Battery issue new for me! »