Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default SL Booting from usb - 06-19-2010, 05:38 PM

hi i am wondering if i can run OSX 10.6 from a usb flashdrive

i have

dell mini 9
Ubuntu 10.04
1gb ram
4gb ssd
8gb external usb flash drive
16gb sd card with usb card reader
SL retail disk
a MBP early 2008 with SL 10.6.3

i want to turn the mini into a mac but i dont have the money at the moment to purchase a larger SSD so is it possible to run OSX off of either the 8gb flash drive or the 16gb sd card with usb card reader.

(#2) Old
Expert Member
Default 06-21-2010, 02:25 PM

I don't believe you can boot off the SD card. And 8GB usb is doable but a real pain. You could get one more 16GB USB key and install to that. It be slow.

mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 16GB STEC SDD | BIOS A06, USB Legacy OFF | No Bluetooth | OSX 10.6.7 | NBI 0.8.5pre w/ ALC268 | Broadcom2Airport
MINI Cooper '02 | 1.6L | CVT | Moonroof | Red w/ White Stripes

Want the ALC268 mini 9 sound fix? Get it here
  (#3) Old
Default 06-22-2010, 12:20 AM

well i went ahead and tried and it works. ill right up a guide so others can try.

i have a 16gb sd card thats attached via a usb card reader (its a creative zen x-fi) i installed snow leopard onto it via my macbook pro.

i then installed netbookbootmaker onto it and booted off of the usb-sd card and voila it works.

as a word of advice. DONT DO IT. its really slow. only do it if you want to see what the fuss is about osx and not commit your internal SSD to it

« Can't book from USB drive anymore, why?! | 10.6.3 Combo fails- Notify manufacturer? »