Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#11) Old
Default Got my Mini 9 working with SL 10.6.3 - 10-21-2010, 04:03 AM

My thanks to stopie for his excellent guide.
However, I found I had to make a few tweaks in order to install 10.6.3 on my Dell Mini 9.

Basically, I couldn’t get parted magic to work, I kept getting a “read-only” error.
Fortunately, I found out that I could do all the parted magic steps from within TransMac, simplifying things.
And, at the final steps (11 & 12), my Mini wouldn’t boot, just looped, rebooting over and over.
I found that I needed to make a bootable USB stick with NetBookInstaller 0.8.4 RC1 in order to complete the process.

I’ve taken the liberty of copying stopie’s steps with my changes, in case they will help others with similar issues.

10.6.3 Retail DVD
16GB USB Stick (PNY Attache is what I used)
1 Small USB Stick (Free 1GB from work is what I used)
NetbookCD from mechdrew's guide #3: from here
10.2 mach_kernel from jamesbarnhill here
Some stuff for parted magic covered below via a link
Program to rip .iso - I used
Alcohol52%, its free and good for emulating drives too
for burning .iso of 10.6.3 DVD to 16GB flash drive from here

STEPS and SUCH and SO FORTH (Steps 1 thru 8 are done on your PC).

1. Open your favorite CD/DVD recording program, and make a complete copy of the Mac OS X Install DVD to an ISO file. Save the ISO file to the C: drive as macdvd.iso.
 Make absolutely certain that it copies the entire DVD, not just the 510MB or 1GB Windows part. The resulting file should be somewhere close to 7 GB or a bit more (mine was 8-ish).

2. Go to the C: drive (viewing as a folder) and select Tools > Folder Options… > View and make sure to uncheck the box that says "Hide extensions for know file types" (when this step is done you can go back and reenable this feature if you do not like the file extensions appearing after file names.) Press OK, then rename the macdvd.iso file to macdvd.img. If you get asked about if you are sure you want to change it, press Yes.

3. Plug in 16GB usb drive and either: In My Computer, right-click on it and select Format, or you can go to Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Storage --> Disk Management (local). From here you can select your 16GB drive and format it. The default settings are fine except I chose FAT32 instead of FAT. Once format is done, you can close all of the windows you just opened.

4a. Extract the darwin 10.2 kernel linked above in the STUFF section. The result should be a file called "mach_kernel"

4b.Now using transmac, right-click on the large usb drive in the left column --> format --> format with disk image. You'll then select the .img we saved to C:\ in step 2.
This will copy OSX 10.6.3 to your large usb drive, which will take awhile.

4c. In TransMac, check Options \ Show Hidden Files
In the left-hand pane, click on the “HFS+ Volume” to see the files at the root level of your USB drive.
In the right-hand pane, find the file “mach_kernel”; right-click on it and select “rename”; rename it to “mach_kernel_1063’.

4d. Open the folder that has the 10.2 kernel (from step 4a). Drag the 10.2 “mach_kernel” into the right-hand pane of TransMac. (I couldn’t get it to copy-and-paste).

Once it is completed, safely remove the large USB stick, but we’re not done with TransMac yet.

4e. Unzip to NBI_084RC1.img
Insert the smaller USB stick.
In TransMac, select menu item “Tools” \ “Refresh Drive List” so your smaller USB stick appears.
Right-click on the smaller USB drive in the left column and select * Format Disk * Format with disk image. You’ll then select the NBI_084RC1.img file.
Once it is completed, safely remove the smaller USB stick. We’re also done with TransMac.

5. Use your favorite CD burning program to burn the NetbookCD to a CD/DVD

(Steps 6, 7 & 8 no longer needed, or re-arranged).

9a. The following steps are done on the netbook. Start with it powered off.

Attach the removable USB-DVD-drive which should have the NetbookCD (from step 5) in it.
Attach the larger USB stick.
Press the power button. When the Dell logo appears, press 2 to enter the BIOS setup.
Go to the Advanced tab and change the following settings as necessary:
- USB BIOS Legacy Support: Enabled
- USB Wake Support: Disabled
- Bluetooth: Disabled
Go to the Exit tab and press Enter on Exit Saving Changes. Press Enter again to confirm. The computer will reboot. Be ready to press 0 (the zero key) ASAP when it does. If you miss it, simply reboot and try pressing 0 again.

9b. On start up, do the boot options thing [press 0] and select CD/DVD, which should give you a spinning slash mark. Then you should see a gray screen, select 'Mac OS X Install DVD'. It should now boot. Follow the steps and install OS X (first use disk utility from the menu bar and format your SSD as HFS+ with journaling and GUID [advanced options]. Of course, this will over-write EVERYTHING on it). [This step takes awhile, perhaps an hour].

10. It may install or it may give you an error, and so long as its not 'Could not copy the necessary support files' error, you should be alright. Power down and remove both the large USB drive and the removable CD/DVD drive.

11. Insert the smaller USB stick (from step 4e). Boot the mini back up, again selecting boot options [by pressing 0] and select USB. At the grey screen now select your internal hard drive to boot from. You should load up and go through the user set up and I've read that if you get a few errors you can do the make an account thing later.

12. Run the NetbookInstaller 0.8.4 from the USB stick (because its the only one that supports 10.6.3 dvd). If a warning prompt shows up asking, "Are you sure you want to open it?" click Open.

Select the following options:
-Volume: <your internal drive>
-Install Chameleon 2 NBI bootloader
-Install <your model name> Extensions
-Generate a system specific DSDT.aml file
-<Any other options you would like, the above are necessary.>
Press Install, enter your password and press OK. When installation is complete, close NetbookInstaller and any other programs you may have open and save all work (if necessary) and shut her down.

13. Disconnect the smaller USB stick and boot up your new hackintosh.

The first time, you will want to again go into the BIOS setup (see step 9a) and set USB BIOS Legacy Support back to Disabled.

« I want advice on Upgrading from MacOS X 10.5.8 to 10.6.4 | "Macintosh HD" not in Startup Disk? »