Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Snow Leopard 10a261 via USB only? - 05-25-2010, 01:54 AM

I have the retail version of Snow Leopard 10a261 and I'm trying to find a guide on how to install it without a Mac and without an external DVD drive.

All of the guides I see are for either if you have a Mac or you have an external DVD drive. When they mention if you can't get it to work via external DVD then do this and that but there are no clear directions on how to set up the USBs to get it to run.

Basically, is there a guide for using TransMac properly and then setting up the USB with netbook installer/OS. I did this before with Leopard and remember using 2 USBs which I have but I can't seem to even find that guide any more.

Can somebody point me in the right direction again, please?

Is there also a guide for the post install stuff so I can get my sound and what not working afterwards?
  (#2) Old
Default 05-25-2010, 11:30 PM

NetbookInstaller 2: USB Mac Installation via Any Operating System | Guides | OS X | mechdrew

If you use as retail copy of Snow Leopard, everything will work. I have no clue what Snow Leopard 10a261 is, but if it's a torrent,I bet it won't work.

Just drop the $29 and have a stable system.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
  (#3) Old
Default 05-26-2010, 12:48 AM

It is the retail version that came out after 10a222 which was sometime last year. Each stable release that Apple sells has a build ID like these. I made a .dmg image of it for backup purposes since I was moving home from college so the disk is somewhere in some boxes in my basement. I guess I have to dig it out.
  (#4) Old
Default 07-09-2010, 02:08 AM

Ok, I figured out how to get the install DVD on a USB stick and the guide, which seems outdated already, says to use the image of NBI_083F so I put that on my smaller USB.

I boot into the USB sticks to install Snow Leopard then I either get a bad mach_kernel blinking in the top left or it goes to the Apple splash screen then gives me that error message saying that I must restart or power off the system in English and multiple languages.

What do I need to do to get this to work properly?

« Grey Screen post-install No matter what - Tried all NBI, USB and DVD | Dell Mini 9 - Boot to nothing and Netbookbootmaker issues »