Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Post Can't find mach_kernel etc - 05-21-2010, 07:30 PM

Before I had this problem, I did NBI method 3 0.83RC4 & that worked flawlessly. It was a no-brainer for me. Sure, I was nervous, but I managed to get that up & running. By the way, did I mention that I am a total noob to the Mac OS?

What was wrong with the DVD install was that sound was not working, which I found out had been fixed in 084RC1 (from reading the forum). So.... Off I went on my quest to try NBI method 2. Everything was going pretty okay & then I got an error to the effect of "Couldn't copy support files..." Shortly thereafter, I got the "Can't find mach_kernel" error that persisted for most of the day.

Long story short, I got NBI to load without the "Can't find mach_kernel" error by using ImageWriter for the small USB drive & using dd for windows for the Snow Leopard retail DVD. (nothing new)

There is a special note about ImageWriter, though.... I wrote the image to the USB stick MANY TIMES using my XP desktop PC which failed just as many times. Every time I opened ImageWriter, there was an error message that would pop up at startup (see attached). I'm used to seeing it because I've used the program for Ubuntu images & such, without any hubbub.

Each & every copy I downloaded would give the same error on XP.

I had installed Windows 7 on my other Mini 9 & when I wrote the NBI 084RC1 img file that I got off the forum to my Cruzer mini 256mb usb drive on it, all was well. (There was no error message.) I think the error message disappears with Vista, too, but I don't remember that too clearly.

Also, instead of TransMac, I used IsoBuster, since I already had a paid copy from a previous project. Everything is installing right now, so I will see how it will all turn out in a bit. My IsoBuster Snow Leopard iso file was 7.23gb, though!! The option I used was "Extract User data" (something like that). There was another option, but since it didn't work, it's not worth mentioning.

I'm not particularly church-going, but HALLELUJAH! XD I've been at this since 6 something this morning & it's quarter past 3 now!!

Hopefully, I'll just be making an edit to this post or so to say it was a success. I'm going to cross my fingers on that one....

Nearly there!! Less than 1/4 of the install is left! I think you can feel my excitement, right? ~lol~

(By the way, I'm not dual booting or anything like that. I will save that for another day. The test Mini 9 has 2gb ram, 64gb Runcore SSD, no webcam, no wwan, bluetooth I don't remember..... I had usb wake disabled & for now, legacy support enabled.)

============Learning Devices============

Last edited by Qagak; 04-02-2012 at 12:08 PM.
  (#2) Old
Default 05-23-2010, 05:43 AM

Okay.... It went well! ˆ_ˆ

I didn't hear the intro video music/sounds, so I thought that I didn't have sound. I checked under the Apple in the left corner + went to System Preferences. There were no devices listed there, but after I installed the bootloader + the extensions with NBI 084RC1 + rebooted, all was well. No worries there.

Then, I updated to 10.6.3 via Software Update. That, too, was no problem.

Let's see.... I did have my 1st kernel panic sometime yesterday. (I almost didn't know what it was! XD) I was in the middle of using Firefox, & I think Preview was trying to open also when it happened. I will look into that later. Other than that, there haven't been any problems.

The only other thing I did was to change some settings on the computer for security (hardening), just like I would in Windows. I'm also making my way around a Mac, & so far, I love it! It's pretty interesting....

Edit: The other thing that I was not ready for was when I wanted to use my portable USB hard drive for time machine backups. A message came up saying I would have to reformat the drive in order to use it. The good news was that it was new & I hadn't put anything on it yet, so I didn't have to sweat it.

Edit #2: I kept getting a kernel panic when using Firefox.... so what I did was to uninstall some of the add-ons & that appears to have fixed the problem. FF seems to be behaving now when I have a few tabs open.... I was using Better Privacy, so I axed that as well as adblock plus + adblock element hiding & disabled quicktime 7 plugin. I'm now down to NoScript + Download themall & haven't seen a kernel panic (yet)....

I also downloaded Camino just in case.... (another Mozilla browser that's just for Mac)

============Learning Devices============

« Hackintosh randomly died today. Blinking cursor in upper left. Help? | 10.6.3 / external monitor -> kernel panics »