Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default 10.5.8 update SL question - 05-19-2010, 01:15 AM

I currently have 10.5.8 installed on my Dell Mini and have the update disc to Snow Leopard 10.6.3. Is there a way to update the 10.5.8 on my Dell Mini using a usb connected DVD drive and the 10.6.3 source disc. I read the various instructive threads and they mention CLEAN installs, is there a way to install 10.6.3 to my existing 10.5.8 without having to CLEAN install (updating the OS and preserving my local data?????)

I tried to launch the 10.6.3 update from the disc (from 10.5.8) and I get the message "The application Install Mac OS X cannot be used from this volume." Sorry if this has been covered before. I searched but couldn't find resolution.

(#2) Old
Default 05-19-2010, 11:46 AM

Meklort is of course the guru. I'd suggest that you do the clean install using Meklorts NBM utility to make a dell bootable usb version of the SL disk to do things the conventional easy way of NBM/NBI.

If you have a decent external USB drive I'd suggest you clone your existing leopard install to it before you do anything else at all.

Then after having followed the guides for a clean install via the Meklort method you can hook up your new SL install to the external drive holding your old install and use the Mac utility "Migration Assistant" to transfer all your settings and documents and extra app's from the USB drive automatically. That way you get a clean install, but get to keep all your own familiar stuff too....

Mini 9, 64GB Runcore, 2GB RAM, Triple boot OSX 10.6.3, XP, Ubuntu Netbook Edition (via Wubi) 3G w. A-GPS. BIOS A00, big Chinese battery.

« (still more) audio problems in 10.5.8 | Failing to load .dmg images: "Device not configured" »