Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Thumbs up Microphone in 10.6.3 - 05-14-2010, 10:20 PM

So after struggling through a 10.6 reinstall after a 10.5.8 crash I finally got things working well. I'm going to be away from fast internet access for awhile, so wanted to get all updated so I could leave it alone for months, but be as security-patched as me that meant making 10.6.3 work. But, I need the internal sound/mic for Skype/iChat. Read lots of posts, some that seemed incredibly complicated.

Found this, works perfectly, and was super easy. Thought I'd share it in an easy to find manner, and hopefully prevent people from having to try the hard ways, when this seems to work so well.

Originally Posted by missbooty View Post
install normally, then simply update the kexts in the /extra / dell mini 9 extensions folder as per Eligos's post I am reposting here (doesn't want to link nicely for some reason):

Originally Posted by Eligos
Works like a charm!
Audio is near perfect (just a little audio glitch barely
perceptible every 5 sec) and it resumes after sleep.
iChat now works really well using the built-in mic.

• Speakers work 100%
• Earplug jack works 100%
• Mic works 100%

Note: I removed the one in S/L/Extensions to have no conflicts.

Files :

This is awesome!

Repost from posts below to make it simpler. ;-)

Originally Posted by deadlyvirus(modified)

1. Go in Finder to the Go menu, and select "Go To Folder"
2. Paste this /Extra/Mini9Ext/
3. Paste the 2 kexts (see links) into that folder. You will need to input your password.
4. Go to /Extra and run UpdateExtra application.
5. Reboot and you're done.
  (#2) Old
Default 05-15-2010, 01:21 AM

I used something like this method (see sig), and it works well.

[  MacBook Pro 13" 2010 | 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM DDR3 | 250GB HDD | NVidia 320M 256MB SDRAM 
Dell Mini 9 <I don't own this anymore> | BIOS: A06 | SL 10.6.3 retail DVD | 1GB RAM | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | BT: √ (Tetany's BT Terminal Mod) |
Audio: √ (Akki's Mini 9 Sound and Mic Fix bundle) | Legacy USB: Off | Sleep: √ | Method: My compiled method | Easier method ]
  (#3) Old
Default links dont work for me - 05-21-2010, 02:43 AM

Hey, I was trying to follow your links in the post you quoted, but I wasn't able to. Could you repost those perhaps? I really want to make the mic work
  (#4) Old
Default 05-22-2010, 01:07 AM

It appears the links my be broken now...I just tried them from my post above and the original thread, neither worked.

I can't get to my Mini right now to see if the files are still in the Downloads on it...or maybe Eligos will repost them.
  (#5) Old
Expert Member
Default 05-24-2010, 02:38 PM

My set of fixes should still be in my drop box (see sig) if not I'll get them there again.

mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 16GB STEC SDD | BIOS A06, USB Legacy OFF | No Bluetooth | OSX 10.6.7 | NBI 0.8.5pre w/ ALC268 | Broadcom2Airport
MINI Cooper '02 | 1.6L | CVT | Moonroof | Red w/ White Stripes

Want the ALC268 mini 9 sound fix? Get it here

10.6.3, mic, microphone, snow leopard, sound

« Free InvisibleShield Wrist Area, track pad and buttons | Copying my HD on my dell mini 9 »