Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default trackpad missing? - 05-11-2010, 01:29 AM

I just installed and upgraded my Mini 9 to OSX 10.5.8 using NBI3/CD method. There were minor bumps but it went as smoothly as can be expected.

I've used Macs before, but I'm not terribly proficient with them. The trackpad moves the cursor as one would expect but I have to use the buttons to left/right click. I did a little research and saw this feature was not necessarily turned on for Macs by default.

I asked my son about it (he installed OSX on a Mini 9 last summer using Dell EFI and who knows what else) as he has it working on his machine. We went to system preferences/keyboard&mouse. His machine shows Keyboard/Trackpad/Keyboard Shortcuts. My machine show Keyboard/Mouse/Keyboard Shortcuts. More importantly, there are no settings for changing the trackpad to allow for left clicks or to drag things around.

Any idea why this would be?

---------- Post added at 01:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

Seems I have a habit of answering my own posts...

I thought maybe the problem was that I was still in Safe Mode from the upgrade to 10.5.8, but I rebooted and was still not able to access see the trackpad in System Preferences.

However, I happened to look further down in the list and there was an Other section that had the Trackpad listed separately. Not sure why my son's is part of Keyboard/Mouse but mine is in a different section, but the problem is solved.

(#2) Old
Default 05-11-2010, 01:30 AM

On my 10v Trackpad settings are in System Preferences/Other section on the very bottom of the window - easy to overlook behind a large Dock.

Mini 10v, BIOS A06, OS X 10.6.6, Linux-Mint, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

« Software Update wrecked the install | 10.6.3 - Hangs at Login »