Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Problem installing OSX Leopard on Mini 9 - 05-10-2010, 03:23 AM

I hope someone can help here, I'm afraid I don't have much to go on.

I'm trying to install 10.5 using the NetbookInstaller 1: USB installation via Mac

The "mac" is another Dell Mini 9 running 10.5.8. The flash drive is an 8GB Sandisk Cruzer. I have a retail 5 pack copy of OSX. The "new" Mini has a Runcore 32GB Pro IV Light.

All went smoothly on the Mac side of the process. When I boot the new Mini with the USB flash drive, I see the Apple logo, the USB drive and the progress bar. Then I see two different spinning wheels, not sure which is expected...the first is on the grey screen and is several little hash marks, that form a dash, then two, etc. Like spokes on a wheel. My son assures me that is the spinning wheel in question.

After that I see a screen that looks like the retail packaging, sort of a starry night with something that looks like the Northern Lights. In the upper left hand corner is another wheel that vaguely spins. It looks like it is a pie cut into five or six different colored pieces that is rotating clockwise rather slowly. It has been doing this for quite awhile now, probably an hour and a half. Perhaps this is normal, but nothing in the notes seems to suggest this will be a lengthy process.

Any suggestions?

(#2) Old
Default 05-11-2010, 12:37 AM

I got antsy waiting for a reply and moved on to trying method 3 with a CD drive. I was able to load 10.5.6 doing this.

(#3) Old
Default 06-04-2011, 11:53 PM

Question; I have (family pack) Leopard, and a dell 9 /2gig+32ssd
am I better off to just get a Snow Leopard? or press on with osx10.5.8 ?

aka are there issues with 10.5.8 that there are not with 10.6 ?

a "fancier system" is no value to me at this time, the point of this exercise is to learn enough to be ready to build a desktop hack.

great forum,
lots of very good info,
thanks to all
  (#4) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to unclemiltie
Default 06-08-2011, 04:29 AM

I had no issues with my Mini9 using Leopard (10.5.x) and had it running 10.5.8 before I finally took the upgrade plunge and went to Snow Leopard (10.6.7) a few weeks ago.

In fact, I think that the support in many respects was "better" since I didn't have to go through some of the extra steps to make things work, everything worked "out of the box" on Leopard where I had to do extra work to make the audio work and I still haven't gotten it going after a pause.

Mini10v: Black, 2GB RAM, 160GHD 10.6.7/Windows 7 Dual-boot, NBI 0.8.4
Mini9: Black, 2GB RAM, 32GSSD, 10.6.7 NBI 0.8.5pre
MacBook Pro:15" Aluminum, 5GB RAM, 640GBHD, 10.6.7
iMac: 20" White 3GB RAM, 750GBHD, 10.6.7

« New 10.6.3 Install | Thinking about a Dell Mini 9 »